+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common-law separation right after PR received

bethany09

May 7, 2017
Good day! I would like to ask for some help. I sponsored my ex common-law partner but upon receiving the confirmation for permanent residency she decided to end the relationship, she said that maybe one day she will sponsor someone too only to find out that she is already in a relationship with somebody else. she cheated how many times before and i forgave her because she said she doesnt want to lose me. she stayed in canada for 4years as a visitors visa. All expenses were paid by me from all her needs and necessities to her wants plus all the processing fees. I even helped her to get a good paying job.right now she is asking for some money from me because she said i need to support her for the reason that Iam her sponsor and as a sponsor I need to support her for the next 3years. being financially abused for the years she was in canada is too much for me already. she was calling me names and being physical to me before, she is trying to get some of my personal stuff too and claiming it as if it is her own. she was telling me that iam ruining her life. she was asking to record some sexual tape to save as her remembrance but i refused. she said that she will use social assistance to get some money and i will be the one to pay for it. she even jokingly threatened to kill me for my pension money. what can i do right now?help pls! Thanks alot.

Survivor27

Champion Member
May 24, 2016
Planet Earth!
Visa Office......
CEM
App. Filed.......
20.Dec.2016
Doc's Request.
22.Mar.2017
AOR Received.
05.Jan.2017
File Transfer...
13.Jan.2017
Med's Done....
17.Nov.2016_IOM
Passport Req..
19.June.2017
VISA ISSUED...
23.June.2017
LANDED..........
09.Sept.2017
Sorry to know of your situation. Indeed you have been used and abused. You made her life good and you're the one that is ruined. Let's see what the most seniors could say about what's best to do.

lukeaidan97

Feb 26, 2017
Newfoundland, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/04/2017
AOR Received.
05/05/2017
That is not good at all, she definitely used you there to get permanent residence status in Canada which is totally unacceptable. I would get in contact with the Case Processing Centre in which you submitted the application by submitting them a detailed letter including your UCI and Application Number from your PR application, or contact the IRCC Call Centre and see what the agents on the phone can advise to you. You do not deserve any sort of abuse from your partner any threats or physical abuse needs to be reported. Going off subject a little bit, you said your partner was on a visitor visa for 4 years but had a job? So she was working illegally in Canada?

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
bethany09 said:
Good day! I would like to ask for some help. I sponsored my ex common-law partner but upon receiving the confirmation for permanent residency she decided to end the relationship,
If she has not yet landed as a PR, you can cancel your sponsorship (even if the Confirmation of Permanent Residency has been issued). If that is the case, you should do that as soon as possible (as soon as you read this), in order to stop her from landing as a PR.

she said that maybe one day she will sponsor someone too only to find out that she is already in a relationship with somebody else. she cheated how many times before and i forgave her because she said she doesnt want to lose me. she stayed in canada for 4years as a visitors visa. All expenses were paid by me from all her needs and necessities to her wants plus all the processing fees. I even helped her to get a good paying job.right now she is asking for some money from me because she said i need to support her for the reason that Iam her sponsor and as a sponsor I need to support her for the next 3years. being financially abused for the years she was in canada is too much for me already. she was calling me names and being physical to me before, she is trying to get some of my personal stuff too and claiming it as if it is her own. she was telling me that iam ruining her life. she was asking to record some sexual tape to save as her remembrance but i refused. she said that she will use social assistance to get some money and i will be the one to pay for it. she even jokingly threatened to kill me for my pension money. what can i do right now?help pls! Thanks alot.
If she has already landed, then I'm afraid she is correct. As her sponsor, you are financially responsible for her for three years from landing. Because Condition 51 has now been repealed, she is no longer obliged to spend two years with you after landing. (If this had happened before mid-April, and you had reported it before then, you might have been able to do something, but all ongoing investigations were dropped as part of the repeal).

If you can prove she had fraudulent intent all the way through, then you may be able to do something with IRCC, but otherwise you can only move on. If she physically attacks you, or tries to take sexual videos of you (eg to put online) then you should report her to the police.

I'm sorry for the situation you're in.

carriedomitin

Star Member
Dec 21, 2015
Hampton, NB
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-11-2016
Doc's Request.
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
26-11-2016
Med's Done....
15-01-2016,upfront, extended
Interview........
Waived, Decision Made - 24-03-2017
Passport Req..
No PPR, new identity photos requested on 28-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR 04-05-2017
bethany09 said:
Good day! I would like to ask for some help. I sponsored my ex common-law partner but upon receiving the confirmation for permanent residency she decided to end the relationship, she said that maybe one day she will sponsor someone too only to find out that she is already in a relationship with somebody else. she cheated how many times before and i forgave her because she said she doesnt want to lose me. she stayed in canada for 4years as a visitors visa. All expenses were paid by me from all her needs and necessities to her wants plus all the processing fees. I even helped her to get a good paying job.right now she is asking for some money from me because she said i need to support her for the reason that Iam her sponsor and as a sponsor I need to support her for the next 3years. being financially abused for the years she was in canada is too much for me already. she was calling me names and being physical to me before, she is trying to get some of my personal stuff too and claiming it as if it is her own. she was telling me that iam ruining her life. she was asking to record some sexual tape to save as her remembrance but i refused. she said that she will use social assistance to get some money and i will be the one to pay for it. she even jokingly threatened to kill me for my pension money. what can i do right now?help pls! Thanks alot.
This is terrible and there should be something in place that stops people from doing this to Canadian citizens. It seems like she "used" you to get PR and then ditched you...that is really wrong and I wish I could offer advice to you but I don't have any. As the others said, you signed something that says you are financially responsible for her for 3 years after landing and unless you can prove she had poor intentions - there is not much you can do. Is any of the abuse in writing by chance? And as someone else said, I would report everything. I too am sorry for your situation and I wish you all the best.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
carriedomitin said:
This is terrible and there should be something in place that stops people from doing this to Canadian citizens.
There used to be. It was called Conditional PR/Condition 51.

bethany09 said:
I even helped her to get a good paying job.

she said that she will use social assistance to get some money and i will be the one to pay for it.
If she has a good paying job, she would not be eligible for any social assistance (unless she commits fraud).

As mentioned, record and document everything that you can. If the harassment gets too much, go to the police.

You can also lodge a report with IRCC that she faked the relationship to get PR status. However there is very little chance they would actually do anything about it. Plus it appears you ignored many warning signs. But doesn't hurt to try.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
carriedomitin said:
This is terrible and there should be something in place that stops people from doing this to Canadian citizens.
There are several things that are/were in place. Whilst I'm sympathetic to OP, people have to be confident in their own relationship before undergoing a major thing like sponsoring someone for residency - willingly sponsoring someone who had repeatedly cheated on you does lay yourself open to the consequences of this. IRCC also investigate the genuineness of the relationship, so will only approve people where both sides appear real. And finally, condition PR (51) did exist, it doesn't anymore - there was the tension between non-Canadians abusing Canadians for migration rights, and Canadians abusing non-Canadians and being able to threaten them with the loss of their status. Current government decided to come down on the side of the new arrivals.

I am sorry for OP, and people like the cheater referred to are truly awful, but this is why sponsoring someone is a big deal. There's a limited amount the Canadian government can do if a Canadian citizen makes some bad choices. This can be hard in a romantic relationship, but you need to keep your head about you. I love my partner very much, but had either one of us repeatedly cheated on the other, I'm pretty confident the relationship. sponsorship & moving countries together would have been completely off.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
bethany09 said:
Good day! I would like to ask for some help. I sponsored my ex common-law partner but upon receiving the confirmation for permanent residency she decided to end the relationship, she said that maybe one day she will sponsor someone too only to find out that she is already in a relationship with somebody else. she cheated how many times before and i forgave her because she said she doesnt want to lose me. she stayed in canada for 4years as a visitors visa. All expenses were paid by me from all her needs and necessities to her wants plus all the processing fees.

what can i do right now?
In regards to immigration, you can't do anything. You were living together for 4 years and you were aware that she was cheating on you, so you have pretty much zero chance of being able to prove she used you to get PR. You signed a 3 year undertaking, so you are financially responsible for her during that time. As said already, if she has a well-paying job, she shouldn't qualify for welfare.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If she hasn't used her COPR to land and become a PR - contact CIC immediately and notify them that you're withdrawing sponsorship due to fraud.

Otherwise if she has already landed, I am of a bit of a different opinion that others here. If she left you immediately after receiving the COPR and you have proof of everything you've told us in emails and voicemails, you may have a chance of demonstrating that she engaged in fraud to obtain PR. You would want this proof to show her staying that she's leaving you as soon as she has PR, the requests for money, the fact she might sponsor someone else, the ask for a sex tape, etc. If you have this kind of proof and lots of it, try reporting here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/protection/fraud/report.asp

bethany09

May 7, 2017
lukeaidan97 said:
Going off subject a little bit, you said your partner was on a visitor visa for 4 years but had a job? So she was working illegally in Canada?
Thank you for the reply lukeaidan97. I believed she did. I dont know the whole story or details since she keeps hiding everything to me. she decided to move out of my place 1 year after her arrival in canada as visitor she said she wanted to have her own personal space. Since i love her i allowed her and paid all the expenses while me working 3 jobs to provide for both of our needs plus her luxurious wants. so i just usually visits her. She made me believed that we will get married after she gets a good paying job and her PR in which didnt occur.

bethany09

May 7, 2017
spousalsponsee said:
If she has not yet landed as a PR, you can cancel your sponsorship (even if the Confirmation of Permanent Residency has been issued). If that is the case, you should do that as soon as possible (as soon as you read this), in order to stop her from landing as a PR.

If she has already landed, then I'm afraid she is correct. As her sponsor, you are financially responsible for her for three years from landing. Because Condition 51 has now been repealed, she is no longer obliged to spend two years with you after landing. (If this had happened before mid-April, and you had reported it before then, you might have been able to do something, but all ongoing investigations were dropped as part of the repeal).
Appreciated your reply spousalsponsee. I applied her as INLAND SPOUSE/COMMONLAW PARTNER since she said she doesnt want to leave canada. I filed a report 2 months ago when she doesnt have her PR card yet only her COPR on hand that time but they said that PR was granted so I filed an appeal against the situation before Mid-April and i havent heard anything back from them yet.

bethany09

May 7, 2017
spousalsponsee said:
If you can prove she had fraudulent intent all the way through, then you may be able to do something with IRCC, but otherwise you can only move on. If she physically attacks you, or tries to take sexual videos of you (eg to put online) then you should report her to the police.
What are the strong evidences I can provide to prove that she only used me for the sake of PR? I have some files on hand but I dont know if this will help or will serve as strong evidences.

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
bethany09 said:
Appreciated your reply spousalsponsee. I applied her as INLAND SPOUSE/COMMONLAW PARTNER since she said she doesnt want to leave canada. I filed a report 2 months ago when she doesnt have her PR card yet only her COPR on hand that time but they said that PR was granted so I filed an appeal against the situation before Mid-April and i havent heard anything back from them yet.
A COPR is issued after a decision is made, but before you land. You then land, and become a PR. Some time after then - normally about two months - you get a PR card. If she has a card then yes, it's probably too late, but that's not the deciding point. The question is has she used her COPR to land (for an inland app, that normally means an interview at a CIC office).

I presume from you saying you filed an appeal that she has done, and at that point C51 still existed (although may not have been applied considering the length of the relationship you said).

From what you say, it sounds like you were completely duped and taken advantage of. I agree with scylla, you should see if you can put together enough evidence that she never intended to be in a long-term relationship with you, and see if CIC will respond to the possibility that she gained PR status by fraud.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
bethany09 said:
What are the strong evidences I can provide to prove that she only used me for the sake of PR? I have some files on hand but I dont know if this will help or will serve as strong evidences.
Emails, text messages, voice mail message from her to you that say the things you've told us. This would be the best evidence.