+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law PR Inland Application, Work permit extension and initial study permit

pyonta

Apr 26, 2014
Hello,

My situation is a little bit complicated, and I am hoping anybody could advise me on this.

My Canadian common-law partner and I are applying for PR ( Common-law Inland).

I am currently on a post grad work permit which will expire in 2 weeks.

We will try to apply for open work permit together with PR application so that I could keep on working under implied status until they make a decision.

Now, while working, I would also like to study in a Certified Professional Accounting Program while waiting for the PR to be approved.. But before I can be in the program, I have to take two additional courses from the " PREP Program". Each course is about 1-2 month long...

1. Do I still need a study permit in order to take this short courses in the Prep Program?

2. Is it even possible to send the application for study permit together with PR application & Open work permit. Would this affect my implied status as a worker?

3. If I decide not to/ if it is not possible to apply for study permit together with the PR application form, is it possible to apply for study permit by itself while I am under implied status as a worker..? Again, does this affect my implied status??

I would really appreciate if anybody have any idea about this. Thank you so much for taking your time to read through my questions! :)

Q1.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
pyonta said:
Hello,

My situation is a little bit complicated, and I am hoping anybody could advise me on this.

My Canadian common-law partner and I are applying for PR ( Common-law Inland).

I am currently on a post grad work permit which will expire in 2 weeks.

We will try to apply for open work permit together with PR application so that I could keep on working under implied status until they make a decision.

Now, while working, I would also like to study in a Certified Professional Accounting Program while waiting for the PR to be approved.. But before I can be in the program, I have to take two additional courses from the " PREP Program". Each course is about 1-2 month long...

1. Do I still need a study permit in order to take this short courses in the Prep Program?

2. Is it even possible to send the application for study permit together with PR application & Open work permit. Would this affect my implied status as a worker?

3. If I decide not to/ if it is not possible to apply for study permit together with the PR application form, is it possible to apply for study permit by itself while I am under implied status as a worker..? Again, does this affect my implied status??

I would really appreciate if anybody have any idea about this. Thank you so much for taking your time to read through my questions! :)

Q1.
The only thing that jumps out at me here is the fact that a PGWP is not extendable and therefore would not qualify under implied status. The only time you could benefit from implied status is if you are bridging your PGWP while applying and waiting for PR via the CEC (Canadian Experience Class) Stream. Family Class streams do not qualify for this bridging. You might consider what your next steps will be in light of this information.

On to your listed questions:

1. There is a rule about a study program being under a certain time frame that does not require a permit or status to take it. I can not remember however if it is 6 weeks or 6 months. I THINK it is 6 months, but don't quote me on that and hopefully someone else with more knowledge will respond in regards to that.

2. You can send in a for a study permit in conjunction with a PR and OWP with no effect on implied status (please read disclaimer at top about PGWP and implied status)

3. You can not include a study permit with a PR application. You would want to fill out a separate application for a study permit and as stated above, it has no effect on other applications currently in progress or implied status.