+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law partnership, missing 5 days to be 1 year !!!

Eyleen

Jan 18, 2012
Hi !!
Me and my partner are trying to fill out the application. Problem is we are missing 5 single days to declare a continuous living together! Statutory declaration signed with those missing 5 days as well ! Is it a big problem ???? ???

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eyleen said:
Hi !!
Me and my partner are trying to fill out the application. Problem is we are missing 5 single days to declare a continuous living together! Statutory declaration signed with those missing 5 days as well ! Is it a big problem ???? ???
Hi,

Common-law partner

You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:

you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)

Do you think you can get exempted the missing days as specified ( from CIC website - sponsoring family - spouse ) in blue letters?

Eyleen

Jan 18, 2012
wilson said:
Hi,

Common-law partner

You are a common-law partner—either of the opposite sex or same sex—if:

you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for at least one year in a continuous 12-month period that was not interrupted. (You are allowed short absences for business travel or family reasons, however.)

Do you think you can get exempted the missing days as specified ( from CIC website - sponsoring family - spouse ) in blue letters?
In our case we have a lease agreement for 10 months (beggining Feb 1,2011), the rest we are travelling (declaration from parents of cohabitation at their place), but my partner is leaving back to Canada on January 26,2012. Do know how to exempt those missing days?

Does the Statutory declaration of common-law needs to be Feb 1,2011 - Feb 1,2012 ??

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The real question is:
Have you lived together for a continuous 12 month period that was not interrupted?
It does not matter where.

If yes, great - apply,
if not, how many days were you apart - What were these days, holiday or what?

If you do not meet the requirements, you will be rejected.

Eyleen

Jan 18, 2012
Lets say he has to leave for business travel. Any idea how to do this ? Declaration signed? Does it has to be oficialy declared ?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eyleen said:
Lets say he has to leave for business travel. Any idea how to do this ? Declaration signed? Does it has to be oficialy declared ?
For how long?
2 to 3 weeks max is fine, I would just keep the ticket stubs (and provide them if asked) longer than that you may need to explain what is going on.

Have you been together for 12 months, for the purpose of this discussion ignore the short separations?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eyleen said:
Yes, we have been living together for 12 months.
Only missing those 5 days.
If it is continuous (ignoring the 5 days for business or holiday) there is no problem.