+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Partner Proof?

karthik867

Mar 18, 2019
Hi Guys,

My girlfriend and I are applying under Common Law as we have been in a live in relationship for the past 4 years, we signed a lease on 2015 Aug and she and I were both on the lease till May 2018, in May 2018 we removed her name from the lease, however she still stays with me. I know the requirement for cohabitation is 1 year minimum, would this be a problem if she is not on the lease with me currently? We don't have any joint accounts, but we have utilities, drivers license, bank statements that show the same address. Would appreciate the input.

skape7

Apr 24, 2017
Hi Guys,

My girlfriend and I are applying under Common Law as we have been in a live in relationship for the past 4 years, we signed a lease on 2015 Aug and she and I were both on the lease till May 2018, in May 2018 we removed her name from the lease, however she still stays with me. I know the requirement for cohabitation is 1 year minimum, would this be a problem if she is not on the lease with me currently? We don't have any joint accounts, but we have utilities, drivers license, bank statements that show the same address. Would appreciate the input.
As per the link below, I think a lady who was already married and outland, included attachments as per the Spousal Sponsorship checklist....Perhaps you can do the same. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/proof-of-relationship-family-member-proof-of-status-canadian-spouse-ee-applica.468485/
Can you attach a text detailing the history of your relationship? statements by family and friends who have known you together? Pictures together or of trips taken together? Pictures together with family and friends? All of this can be clubbed under the section 'Proof of Relationship'
I know you all of this isn't listed in the EE checklists but you can't be too careful and you want to be certain of convincing the VO that your relationship is genuine.

karthik867

Mar 18, 2019
Y
As per the link below, I think a lady who was already married and outland, included attachments as per the Spousal Sponsorship checklist....Perhaps you can do the same. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/proof-of-relationship-family-member-proof-of-status-canadian-spouse-ee-applica.468485/
Can you attach a text detailing the history of your relationship? statements by family and friends who have known you together? Pictures together or of trips taken together? Pictures together with family and friends? All of this can be clubbed under the section 'Proof of Relationship'
I know you all of this isn't listed in the EE checklists but you can't be too careful and you want to be certain of convincing the VO that your relationship is genuine.
Yes, we are going to include all the additional evidence we can find, but wanted to see if someone had some first hand experience regarding this.

a16107

Apr 14, 2016
I will provide the following proof for our application, not sure if it is enough
  1. IMM5409 Form (signed by notary)
  2. Both Driver license to show same address
  3. T4 slip to show same address
  4. NOA to show same address (T1 too)
  5. Company payslip with same address
  6. Phone and hydro bill and internet bill for her (last 12 months or more)
  7. Credit card bill with address for me (last 12 months or more)
  8. Car insurance to show i am primary and she is secondary driver
  9. 10-15 photos to show our relationship, flight ticket order or airbnb as supplementary

I just did the following in this month but I am not sure if it is too late
  1. open a joint bank account and add her in my credit card (2nd card)
  2. I sign the lease agreement by me only, and she e-transfer rent to me every month, do I need to ask my landlord for a letter? what letter is the best for my landlord?

On top of that, do I still need to provide more proof ? Thanks a lot