+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law / married partner

knltwy

Mar 9, 2018
Hong Kong
Hello all,

My partner and I are planning to apply CRS at this year-end, I will be the main applicant.
We do not have any leases and utility bills, which stated both our names.
But we have a joint bank account, joint credit cards, banks statements and my partner's mobile phone bill which with our address and our names.
Are these enough to support our common law relationship?

Actually, in which stage the CIC will go through the application and ask for more evidence (if needed)?

If CIC asks for more evidence, but we cannot provide. Can we get married and change the marriage status during the application process? As we will be same-sex marriage, we cannot easily get married nearby. We prefer to apply it using common law status first.

Thanks a lot :)

ktmktm

Nov 1, 2017
:(Anyone knows?
Doesn’t matter if you get married or not. Even if you get married, cic can still ask for evidence to prove your relationship. Joint bank account statement, joint credit card statement, and phone bills need to show both your name and address for at least 12 months. If i were you, I would attach photo of you two together, maybe traveling or with friends/relatives, anything showing others that you two are couples. You will need to fill out the form “statutory declaration of common law” and get it notarized. You can add a letter of explanation explaining why you two can’t get married (eg. not legal in the country you live in). If your relationship is genuine and you two have been living together for a year, there’s nothing to worry about. It will make your case look stronger if you can provide as many evidences as possible

knltwy

Mar 9, 2018
Hong Kong
Doesn’t matter if you get married or not. Even if you get married, cic can still ask for evidence to prove your relationship. Joint bank account statement, joint credit card statement, and phone bills need to show both your name and address for at least 12 months. If i were you, I would attach photo of you two together, maybe traveling or with friends/relatives, anything showing others that you two are couples. You will need to fill out the form “statutory declaration of common law” and get it notarized. You can add a letter of explanation explaining why you two can’t get married (eg. not legal in the country you live in). If your relationship is genuine and you two have been living together for a year, there’s nothing to worry about. It will make your case look stronger if you can provide as many evidences as possible
Thanks a lot!
I am going to introduce my partner to my cousin, who is a Canadian live in Canada. We should take photo together and let her write a letter to prove our relationship ;)

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
Hello all,

My partner and I are planning to apply CRS at this year-end, I will be the main applicant.
We do not have any leases and utility bills, which stated both our names.
But we have a joint bank account, joint credit cards, banks statements and my partner's mobile phone bill which with our address and our names.
Are these enough to support our common law relationship?

Actually, in which stage the CIC will go through the application and ask for more evidence (if needed)?

If CIC asks for more evidence, but we cannot provide. Can we get married and change the marriage status during the application process? As we will be same-sex marriage, we cannot easily get married nearby. We prefer to apply it using common law status first.

Thanks a lot :)

Yes, you can use those documents you stated as proof of relationship.

You may be asked to provide more proof in or before the Eligibility stage where they check all documents you uploaded.

You may also be asked to fill up the IMM5532. I understand this is a spousal sponsorship form but they also request this for EE applicants as proof of relationship.

Afaik, correct me if I am wrong, relationship photos are not included in the required documents for common-law/married applicants when you submit e-APR.

Submit the documents as stated here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html