+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law Inland: Statutory Declarations from Family, Friends...etc.

pyonta

Apr 26, 2014
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are trying to prepare the statutory declarations from family ...etc to show that our relationship is genuine and continuing.

I am just wondering if there is a specific format that we have to follow for this declaration.

If we have to prepare the declaration form on our own ( to be declared & signed by family members at nortary ), could anybody who did this before provide us with the template/format that were used for this type of declaration?

Thank you so much for taking your time and helping us!

commonlawsponsor

May 29, 2013
Berlin
Category........
Visa Office......
Rome
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2014
AOR Received.
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
10-03-2014
Med's Done....
21-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
17-09-2014
LANDED..........
Will land 27-11-2014
There isn't a specific format you have to follow for letters from friends and family. Let them write what they want. But I have read that at least one visa office did not consider letters from friends and family members who used the term "boyfriend" or "girlfriend" So make sure they use partners, commonlaw spouse, etc.

As for getting the letters signed, I spoke with the commissioner of oaths who was signing our letters and she asked me to email her the letters and then she added on the declaration part herself.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pyonta said:
If we have to prepare the declaration form on our own ( to be declared & signed by family members at nortary ), could anybody who did this before provide us with the template/format that were used for this type of declaration?
Hi

Have them write the letters themselves. They should say how they know you or your partner and for how long and when they met the other person. They need to talk about how you have a genuine and continuing common-law relationship, perhaps mentioning a time when they were with you both or how they watched your relationship evolve. The letters don't have to be long or flowery, clear and simple is best.

The actual declaration can vary but the gist is "I, [name], of [address], solemnly declare that [the above information], and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true and knowing that it is of the same legal force and effect as if made under oath."

They then sign the letter in the presence of the notary public, who notarizes it. You only need 2 stat decs for the app, though you can of course include more. I think we had 3, plus a few other letters that weren't notarized.

Not to be nosy but where are you from? Depending on where you're from, inland isn't usually the best option.

pyonta

Apr 26, 2014
Thank you so much for the very useful information on the declaration :)

I am from Japan.. I am currently working in Canada, and I would like to continue working during the PR application process, we decided to go for the inland application to take advantage of the implied status..

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
pyonta said:
Thank you so much for the very useful information on the declaration :)

I am from Japan.. I am currently working in Canada, and I would like to continue working during the PR application process, we decided to go for the inland application to take advantage of the implied status..
The implied status really depends on what kind of work visa you currently hold. There are some that are not extendable and would not benefit from implied status so be sure you explore this information before submitting your application and working illegally.