+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law Identification

codezips

Apr 8, 2024
Me and my partner lived together in a apartment from 2022 august until 2023 august. After then, because of employment opportunities we had to live separately. However now we have a house lease together under our name from last month. Did we already fulfilled the common law requirement in 2023 living together for year? Is the house lease (our name along with 2 other friends) is sufficient for proof of common law to IRCC? We do also have pictures and other things if needed. Please if anyone could provide insight on it would be really appreciated

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Me and my partner lived together in a apartment from 2022 august until 2023 august. After then, because of employment opportunities we had to live separately. However now we have a house lease together under our name from last month. Did we already fulfilled the common law requirement in 2023 living together for year? Is the house lease (our name along with 2 other friends) is sufficient for proof of common law to IRCC? We do also have pictures and other things if needed. Please if anyone could provide insight on it would be really appreciated since i am trying to sponsor my partner for work permit!
That's hard to say.

From August 2023 until the lease you signed last month, what evidence can you provide that although you were living separately, your relationship continued? This proof will be very important, IMHO.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-common.html

What is cohabitation?

Cohabitation means living together. Two people who are cohabiting have combined their affairs and set up their household together in one dwelling. To be considered common-law partners, they must have cohabited for at least one year. This is the standard definition used across the federal government. It means continuous cohabitation for one year, not intermittent cohabitation adding up to one year. The continuous nature of the cohabitation is a universal understanding based on case law.

While cohabitation means living together continuously, from time to time, one or the other partner may have left the home for work or business travel, family obligations, and so on. The separation must be temporary and short.

It's that last part that may be an issue, if IRCC determines that a 7 month break in cohabitation together is more than temporary and short.

Good luck!

Reactions: codezips

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Me and my partner lived together in a apartment from 2022 august until 2023 august. After then, because of employment opportunities we had to live separately. However now we have a house lease together under our name from last month. Did we already fulfilled the common law requirement in 2023 living together for year? Is the house lease (our name along with 2 other friends) is sufficient for proof of common law to IRCC? We do also have pictures and other things if needed. Please if anyone could provide insight on it would be really appreciated
My understanding is:
-yes, in theory, the time living together was NOT LESS than 365 days (a full year), then you established common law. A day less - no. ('August to August' is a bit vague...)
-Important caveat is IF you can document that full year to IRCC's satisfaction. Since it is close, and you subsequently lived apart, you can expect they will check that fairly carefully.
-You say your 'house lease' i.e. with other people and ask whether that's sufficient - does this refer to that initial period, august to august 2023? . Again, having the ambiguity of other people living is going to make them check even more carefully. If that is current, I'd emphasize that you are living as a couple now, even if other people are also on the lease.
-So I emphasize again: IF you have other good support, should work. Just explain that your period living apart was after living together for more than 12 months, and temporary (for employment reasons), and your relationship continued (as shown by moving back together as soon as possible).

Now, would be remiss to not note that, depending on circumstances, you should consider marriage as well. There IS a risk of issues with the common law application, and there is a risk of longer processing. That may or may not be an issue in your situation, only you can decide, but absolutely - applying as married would make it a much easier application from the perspective of getting it approved. Up to you.

codezips

Apr 8, 2024
Thank you Ponga and armoured for the beautiful insight. If we choose to go with the marriage path and I sponsor her (I am on pgwp) and my partner is in visitor status (pgwp expired so) this should be fairly easy and a good path? We can provide IRCC documents and pictures for proof if needed. We have been a good couple and see a future together.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you Ponga and armoured for the beautiful insight. If we choose to go with the marriage path and I sponsor her (I am on pgwp) and my partner is in visitor status (pgwp expired so) this should be fairly easy and a good path? We can provide IRCC documents and pictures for proof if needed. We have been a good couple and see a future together.
I know nothing about your status and type of application i.e. who exactly is applying for PR. But if you were to apply as married, there should not be any issues with that part - and what is most relevant (I think) is that it should present fewer issues than applying as common law. Common law might be fine in the end, too, mind.

Reactions: codezips

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Just want to point out that you cannot "sponsor" your spouse. You will be applying for PR including your spouse.
Not familiar with condition to apply for SOWP for spouse of PGWP. But that can only happen after marriage. (if you are not going with the common law path)

codezips

Apr 8, 2024
Just want to point out that you cannot "sponsor" your spouse. You will be applying for PR including your spouse.
Not familiar with condition to apply for SOWP for spouse of PGWP. But that can only happen after marriage. (if you are not going with the common law path)
Absolutely. Me and my partner, we either have to get married and apply for SOWP with my PGWP or I have to apply for PR including my spouse on my application. So seems like marriage is the only option:)