+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common-law confusion

aisling_ai

Apr 19, 2023
At the time if EE profile creation, I was living with my gf since the birth of our son. However, it was less than 1 year, so I listed my marital status as single. Fast forward to post ITA (still haven't reached 1 year living together) we got married. Now we are applying together for PR as married. Do we have to declare us living together before marriage? Would it be misrepresentation even though it did not qualify as common-law at the time?

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
At the time if EE profile creation, I was living with my gf since the birth of our son. However, it was less than 1 year, so I listed my marital status as single. Fast forward to post ITA (still haven't reached 1 year living together) we got married. Now we are applying together for PR as married. Do we have to declare us living together before marriage? Would it be misrepresentation even though it did not qualify as common-law at the time?
You got married post ITA. That's a family composition change. You'll have to inform IRCC of this. It isn't misrepresentation as you weren't common law before. Your application will be reassessed though for updated POF requirements, accompanying spouse's impact on CRS, etc.

aisling_ai

Apr 19, 2023
Many thanks for your response. We have already calculated the new CRS and it is above cut-off along with updated POF. I had this concern bcuz i thought they would assume common-law status at the time of ITA because of her being pregnant, etc and claim I misrepresented by having single on ee profile.