+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming from Japan. Stay with visitors visa.

GeoNo

Aug 23, 2015
A little background info:
My wife (applicant/Japanese citizen) and myself (sponsor) have been married for 5 years. We have been living in Japan with our two young children (ages 2 and 4). In April 2015, I returned to Canada. I’ve started a new job (in July) and have rented us a townhouse.

I’ve sent in our application package in mid August. My wife will (hopefully) be coming from Japan to Vancouver on a visitor's visa late Oct./Early Nov. She will be bringing children. Our plan is that I’ll go to Japan and we’ll fly back together. Once here, it’s our intention to extend her visitors visa after 6 months and continue to do so until she gets her pr card.

So my questions are:

Should we purchase return airfare?

What documents should we have on us at arrival?

Will my traveling/arrival with my wife have an effect with immigration?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

tanigawa

Jul 2, 2015
GeoNo said:
Should we purchase return airfare?
It is probably not necessary--especially if you arrive at the airport with your family and you can explain why everyone is coming in on a one-way ticket. Tell them that you have an external PR application in process and she would like to be in Canada with you while waiting.

GeoNo said:
What documents should we have on us at arrival?
Bring all paperwork to prove that you have an application for PR sponsorship in progress, along with proof of your marriage. Ideally, you should wait until you get your AOR (acknowledgement of receipt). Might also want to bring proof of employment to show that you can support your family while they wait for papers.

GeoNo said:
Will my traveling/arrival with my wife have an effect with immigration?

Any other advice would be appreciated.
Yes, it would likely have a big impact if you, as a Canadian citizen, are there with your family to vouch for them.

Out of curiosity, do your kids have Canadian passports? If not, it will add some complexity.

GeoNo

Aug 23, 2015
tanigawa said:
Out of curiosity, do your kids have Canadian passports? If not, it will add some complexity.
The kids both have Japanese Passports. I've submitted the forms for their Canadian Citizen Certificates in July.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. if your kid can get Canadian passport in Japan, they should (it took 15 days for my daughter from Canadian embassy in KOREA)
so they use their japanese passport when go through the airport in Japan, and CBSA would ask only Canadian passport (CBSA did not ask my daughter's korean passport but request Canadian )

2. your kid (if they have Canadian passport or can show citizenship cert. to CBSA) do not need to buy return ticket, but your wife does.
she come to Canada as a visitor, it is mandatory to purchase a round ticket (there is chance CBSA would not ask you to show her ticket but do not need to take a risk. maybe she can buy a refundable ticket)

3. You can travel with your wife and kids, and sure it is more assurable for CBSA.
don't think it is necessary. she is with her kids (Canadian ) and show a proof of outland app (sponsor approval email from CIC etc)
and tell the truth to CBSA.
:she and your kids Visit/stay with you until she get PR . Also make sure she has your phone no. so they can call you (if they need )