+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Come in a student, while also applying for a PR under family class?

splitterz

Apr 2, 2014
I just got married, is it possible to apply for a student visa (I applied to a school and got accepted for January) and also apply for PR via family class?

I am looking to get more education under my belt, which will help us both in the future. It'd be a huge bonus to live with her, and go to school, but I wouldn't want to circumvent the CIC in anyway, thats not the intent. Advice?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Having applied for PR under family class does not mean you can not apply for a study permit while you wait. You do however have to prove that you will not overstay in Canada in case your PR application does not work out. Spouses of PR's or Canadians are often refused temporary visas as they are considered to be a risk to overstay.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
All you can do is apply. You shouldn't hide that you are married. You can say that you are planning on applying for sponsorship but you would like to be able to join your spouse sooner. However, in case the sponsorship or your PR were not to work out, you would of course return to your home country and take your spouse with you to live together there.