+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-Signer undertaking of spouse's Parent sponsorship after PR,

afarin

Jan 14, 2013
Hello,

I have co-signed my spouse's application for parents and now they are Permanent Residents.

As me and my wife are separated and going through divorce I wonder what would be my responsibilities if my spouse's parents use the financial assistant while she has the proven income to support them?

So basically my question is if shes has enough income to support them, am I still financially liable?

Thank you very much in advance

M

mikeymyke

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ip/ip02-eng.pdf

Section 12.4

Unforutunately based on that section, it would appear you would still be on the hook for their costs

You can read the entire document, maybe there is an exemption for u somewhere, but as soon as I came across 12.4, it would appear you're still on the hook

At least the good news for you is since you applied for them in 2008, you only have a 10 yr undertaking rather than a 20 yr one

Also I wouldn't worry too much about them potentially going on assistance, since your ex would ultimately be financially responsible for them as well, and I'm sure she doesn't want to have to repay social assistance from two parents, thus I'm sure she would do everything she can to make sure they're not on welfare.

afarin

Jan 14, 2013
Thank you very much Mikey, but I still have this question that how the government approaches this situation if my Ex is not willing to support? Are they going after her and see if she has enough income to support and she has to pay and if not come to me? Or it is 50 50 situation?

Thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
afarin said:
Thank you very much Mikey, but I still have this question that how the government approaches this situation if my Ex is not willing to support? Are they going after her and see if she has enough income to support and she has to pay and if not come to me? Or it is 50 50 situation?

Thanks again
They'll only come after you if her parents go on social assistance / welfare. If this happens, the government will go after you jointly to repay any funds they have received. I would assume a 50/50 split if you are no longer together.

M

mikeymyke

Yes they only come after you if they go on social assistance. There are lots of things that aren't considered social assistance like EI or disability payments. It doesn't matter if she has enough income to support or not, the important thing is that the parents do not go on social assistance. They won't come after you if your inlaws are making low income, or not working at all, as long as they're NOT taking social assistance.

It's possible your ex could have no job, but the parents are at least working and providing for themselves, or your ex could be making lots of money, yet the parents are not doing well themselves and want to go on assistance.

I would assume its a 50/50 split, though nobody really knows for sure.

Like I said, don't worry so much about it, I'm sure your ex is just as determined to not repay social assistance as you are, and you only have a 10 year udnertaking.