+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Co-Op Work / Off campus work permit

Sela

Jun 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have some doubts about Co-Op and off campus work permit.

I am applying for Study permit for this Fall semester at UQAM - Full time student.
And while filling out the online application form, I came across these question and I do not know what to answer.

* Is Work an essential component of your studies?

This Master has a mandatory internship on summer semester, full time position. Im not really sure if I need the Co-Op work permit because I know in the summer break you are allowed to work full time as an international student holding a study permit with an off campus work permit.

Other question is can i hold both work permits: Co-Op and Off campus?

Thanks.

Last edited:

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Hello everyone,

I have some doubts about Co-Op and off campus work permit.

I am applying for Study permit for this Fall semester at UQAM - Full time student.
And while filling out the online application form, I came across these question and I do not know what to answer.

* Is Work an essential component of your studies?

This Master has a mandatory internship on summer semester, full time position. Im not really sure if I need the Co-Op work permit because I know in the summer break you are allowed to work full time as an international student holding a study permit with an off campus work permit.

Other question is can i hold both work permits: Co-Op and Off campus?

Thanks.
Yes, you need CO-op permit if Internship is the requirement of your degree.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
So i will not be able to work 20h/w for the rest of the year? or can i have the off campus work permit too?

thanks
you can still able to work 20h/w on your regular terms. Plus you do not need off campus work permit anymore as this rules has been changed in 2014. Students are now allowed to work from the very first day.

Off campus work permit were usually used prior to 2014 because students needed to wait for six months before they can start working off campus.

ivygorous04

Oct 13, 2017
you can still able to work 20h/w on your regular terms. Plus you do not need off campus work permit anymore as this rules has been changed in 2014. Students are now allowed to work from the very first day.

Off campus work permit were usually used prior to 2014 because students needed to wait for six months before they can start working off campus.
Hi, can I start off campus work even if my program doesn't start yet? Thank you.

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Hi, can I start off campus work even if my program doesn't start yet? Thank you.
Yes you can, but you are only allowed to come as earliest as 30 days before the start of semester. Earlier than that may put a person in extensive investigation.

ivygorous04

Oct 13, 2017
Yes you can, but you are only allowed to come as earliest as 30 days before the start of semester. Earlier than that may put a person in extensive investigation.
Really? My program will start this 29th of January, so can I start by December 30? Thank you.

kumar.mandora

Star Member
May 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Can you please help me in finalizing answer of question "* Is Work an essential component of your studies?"
I am going to pursue Health Information Management and as per my letter of acceptance it says internship/work practicum=yes.

So for CIC questionnaire do I need to answer yes or no?

If yes then do I need to get any additional document from college.

Please let me know,

Thanks in advance

hussainkestrel

Sep 1, 2017
App. Filed.......
20 October 2017
Med's Request
9th November 2017
Med's Done....
15th November 2017
No you cannot. That would be a violation of your study permit rules. You can only start working after your term starts or else it would have adverse effect on when you would be applying for your PGWP.