+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed work permit to Open work permit

AK1994

Jul 4, 2024
Hi All,

I am in canada on a closed work permit, I came to canada on a GTS stream LMIA and now I have 1 year experience in canada and my work permit valid for 1.4 years expiring in 2026.

Currently I am on bench for last 20 days and soon my company might ask me to
move back to my home country
, but daily I am receiving calls from different employers, but due to my work status I cannot work for different employer, and they are ready to offer me a job only if I had an open work permit.

My CRS score is 485 no draws were taken from last few months.

Apart from pgwp/spousal visa, Kindly suggest are there any options to convert my closed work permit to open work permit.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

I am in canada on a closed work permit, I came to canada on a GTS stream LMIA and now I have 1 year experience in canada and my work permit valid for 1.4 years expiring in 2026.

, but daily I am receiving calls from different employers, but due to my work status I cannot work for different employer, and they are ready to offer me a job only if I had an open work permit.

Apart from pgwp/spousal visa, Kindly suggest are there any options to convert my closed work permit to open work permit.
No option.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,

So your spouse is on PGWP? If not, you need a Canadian employer willing to go through LMIA process so you can apply for a closed work permit.

Does your CRS score count 50 points for LMIA/job offer? If so, deduct those points if employer not willing to give you a new job offer with permanent work one year past PR.