+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Closed Work Permit Employment Location

Some dude

Apr 1, 2023
Hello,

I have a closed work permit in Quebec and currently living in Quebec City.I'm considering moving to Montreal and work for the same employer remotely.

When I checked my work permit Employment location I noticed that it is being stated as "QUEBEC NES".

Does that mean that I can live/work from anywhere in the province of Quebec or I have to be in Quebec City?

Thank you in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I have a closed work permit in Quebec and currently living in Quebec City.I'm considering moving to Montreal and work for the same employer remotely.

When I checked my work permit Employment location I noticed that it is being stated as "QUEBEC NES".

Does that mean that I can live/work from anywhere in the province of Quebec or I have to be in Quebec City?

Thank you in advance
Your WP is tied to Quebec City.

Some dude

Apr 1, 2023
Are you sure about that? I have some acquaintances that have "Ontario NES" or just "Calgary"/"Quebec City" as the Employment Location which made me wonder if NES is written only for referring to province.

TSQUARE

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
From my research and experience, there is a difference between when it is a "condition" or "additional information" section on your work permit and people sometimes mix this up. If the location is in the "conditions" section then you must live in the location but if it is just an additional information, then it may not be binding. The reason is because there must be employer location in the additional information section of the work permit anyway to make your details complete on the work permit. I think it is only mandatory if it is in the "conditions" section. I have seen a foreign worker who landed and couldn't get a suitable accommodation with his family near the remote plant he was suppose to be working and then had to settle 2 hours drive from the location. This is just my opinion. @Naturgrl what do you think of my perspective?? Although this link from IRCC talks about PGWP and Co-Op There’s a specific employment location on my co-op or post-graduation work permit. Can I work somewhere else? (canada.ca) but I think the idea also applies to other WPs.

TSQUARE

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
Hello,

Thank you in advance
is the location under condition or additional information section?? It's arguable some people will say yes others will say no but that's my opinion above.

Some dude

Apr 1, 2023
is the location under condition or additional information section?? It's arguable some people will say yes others will say no but that's my opinion above.
The employment location is under "Additional Information".

Under "Conditions" it is specified "NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN ANY LOCATION OTHER THAN STATED".

TSQUARE

Star Member
Jun 16, 2015
The employment location is under "Additional Information".

Under "Conditions" it is specified "NOT AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN ANY LOCATION OTHER THAN STATED".
This is a bit tricky. Like I have had a close work permit in the past too. It's a bit different. I had my work location on additional information like yours but nothing relating to work location under conditions. Maybe because we had other work locations across Canada so the immigration agent included that during the application not sure as everything was done by my employer. I only had not authorized to work for another employer, health, agriculture etc.
You might want to clarify from your HR/ Immigration agent (if you initially used one).
Good luck.