+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clinical fellowship

sahni1980

Jun 15, 2016
Hello Members,

Could anyone please tell me if we can count clinical fellowship experience in Canada in our work experience category. This will give more points. Please help, can we show as Canadian experience?

Thanks

Sahni

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sahni1980 said:
Could anyone please tell me if we can count clinical fellowship experience in Canada in our work experience category. This will give more points. Please help, can we show as Canadian experience?
Can`t think of any reason it would not count - you must have had a work permit, rightÉ

sahni1980

Jun 15, 2016
Yes I was on work permit for 1 year. But I am not sure if it will be counted as training or work experience.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sahni1980 said:
Yes I was on work permit for 1 year. But I am not sure if it will be counted as training or work experience.
There are study permits and there are work permits. If you were on a work permit, you were working, and you were not a student.

sahni1980

Jun 15, 2016
Yes that is right. But the confusion is weather we can show that experience or training as Canadian work experience. Sorry if I am asking same thing but I just want to make sure. Thanks for understanding

artray

Jan 19, 2016
Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO/Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23 Feb
AOR Received.
24 Feb
Med's Done....
22 Feb
Passport Req..
14 June
VISA ISSUED...
23 June
LANDED..........
11 Jan
sahni1980 said:
Yes that is right. But the confusion is weather we can show that experience or training as Canadian work experience. Sorry if I am asking same thing but I just want to make sure. Thanks for understanding
It counts if it was full-time work experience (30 hours a week) and if it was paid (no minimum amount, as long as you got some monetary compensation).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=665&top=29

Are you trying to qualify for FSW or CEC? Requirements are different under each of these categories. CEC requirement below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=664&top=29

sahni1980

Jun 15, 2016
Thank you for your reply. I will be applying under FSW as to be eligible under CEC I should have worked for 2 years as a Temp. Foreign Worker.
Another thing is that I was getting my remuneration paid by my employer in Home country while I did my clinical fellowship in Canada. I am just curious to know how will IRCC interpret this? Can they refuse my application by saying that how can you be working full time in both the countries at the same time?
Also, can I also show my Clinical Fellowship as my educational qualification or just work experience?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
sahni1980 said:
Thank you for your reply. I will be applying under FSW as to be eligible under CEC I should have worked for 2 years as a Temp. Foreign Worker.

You should try reading the information at the link provided to you. If you had, you would know that CEC requires 1 year of full-time skilled work experience.

But in fact, you don't chose the program - if your profile is accepted into the pool, you will get an invitation to apply to the program for which you are eligible. If you are determined to be eligible (based on your profile) for both CEC and FSW, you will be invited to apply for CEC.

Another thing is that I was getting my remuneration paid by my employer in Home country while I did my clinical fellowship in Canada. I am just curious to know how will IRCC interpret this? Can they refuse my application by saying that how can you be working full time in both the countries at the same time?

This is a bit trickier, but not impossible, many others have similar situations and have succeeded. You will need letters of employment from BOTH your home country employer (will need to include details on remuneration and benefits), and the Canadian "employer" (whoever supervised your fellowship) will have to focus on your job duties and responsibilties.

The only thing I would caution about is if the Fellowship was funded under a government program that requires you to return to your country, the experience might be excluded.

Also, can I also show my Clinical Fellowship as my educational qualification or just work experience?

From CIC's perspective, the only thing that "counts" as an educational qualification is a diploma or degree. (For an employer, on the other hand, on your CV, it would make sense to include it in both places). I suggest showing it as work experience only in your profile, because if you show it as "education" then you will run the risk of a VO thinking you were a student and excluding the experience.