+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on Guarantor

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
Background: I submitted for a Citizenship application within Canada and I have attended the Ceremony. Currently waiting for the certificate so I can apply for the passport.

Need some clarification about the guarantor.

This section says the guarantor has to be a Citizen but the Guarantor declaration form itself doesn't mention that as a requirement. In fact the form has an occupation as a requirement which the section doesn't.

What am I misunderstanding?

Greninja

Star Member
Oct 18, 2022
He needs to be a Canadian citizen, cuz there is a passport number in the section. it does not make sense to get a guarantee from a citizen in another country. :D

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Background: I submitted for a Citizenship application within Canada and I have attended the Ceremony. Currently waiting for the certificate so I can apply for the passport.

Need some clarification about the guarantor.

This section says the guarantor has to be a Citizen but the Guarantor declaration form itself doesn't mention that as a requirement. In fact the form has an occupation as a requirement which the section doesn't.

What am I misunderstanding?
It’s the curious case of overthinking.

koxruz

Mar 27, 2023
He needs to be a Canadian citizen, cuz there is a passport number in the section. it does not make sense to get a guarantee from a citizen in another country. :D
There's no passport number section in the declaration form. Not sure what you're referring to. There's only a registration number. Plus the declaration form doesn't specify the guarantor to be a citizen hence the confusion

DSEuro78

Jun 18, 2017
Reactions: yyzstudent

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Wrong form.
The guarantor form for passport application is IN the passport application. You might want to take your time and read the correct form first.
:cool:
Or the instructions:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#in-canada

"Your guarantor must...
... be a Canadian citizen 18 years of age or older"

Note, I don't believe this specific requirement for guarantor applies if one applies OUTSIDE Canada. If there's any gap or difference in forms for passport #, it could be because of this distinction. But I'm too lazy to look up the forms since the instructions are so clear.