+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Clarification on blog dated 11/30/09

endosmom

Feb 19, 2009
I was reading through your past blogs and came across one that will solve all my immigration issues. I THINK
I understand the blog titled "two classes of permanent residents" to read, that if a US citizen return to the US after landing in canada and fails to keep up the 2 years in every 5 they can return any time and just stay two years effectively reestablishing the 2 in 5 years rule.

If this is so, what steps need to be taken to reestablish medical insurance, get a new social insurance card issued etc. I immigrated to Canada in 1976 with my parents, but have been back in the US since 1978. It is time for me to return to Canada to take care of my elderly parents.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
endosmom said:
I was reading through your past blogs and came across one that will solve all my immigration issues. I THINK
I understand the blog titled "two classes of permanent residents" to read, that if a US citizen return to the US after landing in canada and fails to keep up the 2 years in every 5 they can return any time and just stay two years effectively reestablishing the 2 in 5 years rule.

If this is so, what steps need to be taken to reestablish medical insurance, get a new social insurance card issued etc. I immigrated to Canada in 1976 with my parents, but have been back in the US since 1978. It is time for me to return to Canada to take care of my elderly parents.
Hi,

Might not work. You had not renewed your PR card for 30 years. But this is just my opinion though.

endosmom

Feb 19, 2009
The blog specifically states 5-10 or even 20 years, so why would 30 yrs be an issue? Does anyone have any actual experience with this issue? Would love any constructive feedback.

here is where you can read the blog. add this after the ".com" in this website. It won't let me post the link directly.

/canada-immigration-blog/2009/11/two-classes-of-permanent-residents.html

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
endosmom said:
The blog specifically states 5-10 or even 20 years, so why would 30 yrs be an issue? Does anyone have any actual experience with this issue? Would love any constructive feedback.

here is where you can read the blog. add this after the ".com" in this website. It won't let me post the link directly.

/canada-immigration-blog/2009/11/two-classes-of-permanent-residents.html
I see your point. Seems a bit unfair for people who are citizens of countries who need visas to enter Canada. But as has been pointed out, it is a flaw in the system. So it seems all you have to do is come to Canada, stay for two years and renew your PR card. Sad :( But such is life. "Lucky for some, unlucky for others. It shouldn't be that way." (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-blog/2009/11/two-classes-of-permanent-residents.html) Not my words. Probably Atty Cohen's.

endosmom

Feb 19, 2009
no it isn't fair, but sometimes the odds stack in your (in this case, "my") favor. Thanks for reading that and reinforcing that I am not crazy. I still have my original questions. So if any one has any insite, please let me know.
What steps need to be taken to reestablish medical insurance, get a new social insurance card issued etc.