+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

clarification of proof of citizenship question and some background info

Cookamuch

Jul 28, 2020
Hello, hawk39 and Anyone on the forum who could advise or comment:
I am brand new to this forum and this is my first post, although I have been reading the posts of others extensively. I noticed that Hawk39 is very knowledgeable about Canadian citizenship laws and amendments. I also noticed that they seem to have a lot of patience, as they waited 2 years to finally get the certificate. Congratulations on that, by the way! I live in the US and was born in the US to a Canadian mother and American father. My mom was born in Newfoundland in 1936. She met my American father there, and they moved to the US to live. My Mom was never a US citizen, nor did she want to be. She carried a green card in the US. I was born in the US in 1966. My mom always told me that I was a Canadian citizen, but I know that she never registered my birth abroad. It took me forever to fill out the Proof of Citizenship form. I found some of the questions to be very obtuse and difficult to answer. I was able to provide a copy of my mom's provincial birth certificate from Newfoundland.Her first name was misspelled. I provided all of the documents that were required. It took 2 weeks for my package to be delivered to Sydney, Nova Scotia. (Package tracked through UPS.) There has been no acknowledgement of any kind from IRCC that they have received my application. From reading your posts, I should not worry, and should anticipate that it will take at least 2-3 months to even get an AOR. After that, more delays due to COVID-19. One aspect of the application that confused me was the question, "Was Parent 1 (my mother) a British subject and living in Canada on January 1, 1947 or Newfoundland and Labrador before April 1, 1949?" I answered that question as "yes." I answered,"yes" because I believe that all people living in Newfoundland at that time were British subject, because NFLD was a Commonwealth of Great Britain at the time. My mom was not a British citizen, and she and her parents were all born in Newfoundland. I did note on the application that my mom was born in Canada. Do you see any problems for me with my situation, or the way that I answered the "British subject" question? I will try to be patient, as you were, but I can't help but worry. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone! It's invaluable.
Cookamuch

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
No, that was the right way to answer the question.

Until 1949, anyone connected to a dominion (such as Newfoundland) was a British subject. That year, Newfoundland joined Canada, so your mother then became a Canadian citizen, as Canadian citizenship had just been spun off in 1946.

Simultaneously, British subject status was replaced by citizen of the UK and colonies (CUKC) status, which was then replaced by British citizen status in 1983. This change was to reduce the ability of former (non-white) colonial subjects to easily migrate to the UK, but it has no relevance to your mother or your case. As long as you proved she was born in Newfoundland and you're her child you're good to go.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
Hello, hawk39 and Anyone on the forum who could advise or comment:
I am brand new to this forum and this is my first post, although I have been reading the posts of others extensively. I noticed that Hawk39 is very knowledgeable about Canadian citizenship laws and amendments. I also noticed that they seem to have a lot of patience, as they waited 2 years to finally get the certificate. Congratulations on that, by the way! I live in the US and was born in the US to a Canadian mother and American father. My mom was born in Newfoundland in 1936. She met my American father there, and they moved to the US to live. My Mom was never a US citizen, nor did she want to be. She carried a green card in the US. I was born in the US in 1966. My mom always told me that I was a Canadian citizen, but I know that she never registered my birth abroad. It took me forever to fill out the Proof of Citizenship form. I found some of the questions to be very obtuse and difficult to answer. I was able to provide a copy of my mom's provincial birth certificate from Newfoundland.Her first name was misspelled. I provided all of the documents that were required. It took 2 weeks for my package to be delivered to Sydney, Nova Scotia. (Package tracked through UPS.) There has been no acknowledgement of any kind from IRCC that they have received my application. From reading your posts, I should not worry, and should anticipate that it will take at least 2-3 months to even get an AOR. After that, more delays due to COVID-19. One aspect of the application that confused me was the question, "Was Parent 1 (my mother) a British subject and living in Canada on January 1, 1947 or Newfoundland and Labrador before April 1, 1949?" I answered that question as "yes." I answered,"yes" because I believe that all people living in Newfoundland at that time were British subject, because NFLD was a Commonwealth of Great Britain at the time. My mom was not a British citizen, and she and her parents were all born in Newfoundland. I did note on the application that my mom was born in Canada. Do you see any problems for me with my situation, or the way that I answered the "British subject" question? I will try to be patient, as you were, but I can't help but worry. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone! It's invaluable.
Cookamuch
Thank you for the acknowledgment. As @primaprime already responded, you answered that particular question correctly, and as long as you included all of the required documents and answered all of the applicable questions, you should be good to go. Congratulations :D !!!

Reactions: Cookamuch

Cookamuch

Jul 28, 2020

Until 1949, anyone connected to a dominion (such as Newfoundland) was a British subject. That year, Newfoundland joined Canada, so your mother then became a Canadian citizen, as Canadian citizenship had just been spun off in 1946.

Simultaneously, British subject status was replaced by citizen of the UK and colonies (CUKC) status, which was then replaced by British citizen status in 1983. This change was to reduce the ability of former (non-white) colonial subjects to easily migrate to the UK, but it has no relevance to your mother or your case. As long as you proved she was born in Newfoundland and you're her child you're good to go.

Thanks for reading my post and for the reassurance!