+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming Asylum at US-Canada border

jkinfo

May 24, 2017

Hi all,
I have a question regarding asylum and need you expert advice.

I and my family wife and kids(under 12) wish to enter in canada thru US Canada border and want to claim asylum at border.

my question is:
I dont have any close relative in canada but my spouse's maternal uncle is citizen, on that basis are we eligible to claim asylum on border?

TIA

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Hi all,
I have a question regarding asylum and need you expert advice.

I and my family wife and kids(under 12) wish to enter in canada thru US Canada border and want to claim asylum at border.

my question is:
I dont have any close relative in canada but my spouse's maternal uncle is citizen, on that basis are we eligible to claim asylum on border?

TIA
As you are coming from a safe country (US) your family will still need to qualify regardless with valid asylum reasons and there is no guarantee even having an uncle although the safe third country agreement will help.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/menu-safethird.asp

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
U mean my spouse uncle relation will not work as per agreement?
I am just saying having relative is still not a guarantee that asylum will be successful as is just one of the criteria else why bother having an immigration program as everyone with a relative in Canada would be claiming asylum instead of going through the immigration process. Nothing is guaranteed despite any agreements just adds a positive factor to any asylum consideration.

jkinfo

May 24, 2017
Thx for the response.

Can you please tell me what documents should we must carry to present on request at the time of claim.

Will they ask only identity docs or they also require FIR, news paper cutting etc on border.

I have valid visa as well but my family dont. Will it make any difference?

Thanks for response