+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Claiming Asylum at US border!

Ahmed Arabi

Dec 10, 2016
Hi all!! I have two quick question! pls Help

I am Algerian living in UAE with work permit and planing to travel to US and claim asylum at Canada us border knowing that i have a cousin living in Canada! he is already canadian citizen.

My first question : is it better to come to canada directly by tourist visa and claim asylum at the airport or through us border??

Second question : is my cousin (( our mums are sisters :) )) considered as a family member as Canada has an agreement called (( Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement)) ??

Thanks alot in advance to all!!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Ahmed Arabi said:
Hi all!! I have two quick question! pls Help

I am Algerian living in UAE with work permit and planing to travel to US and claim asylum at Canada us border knowing that i have a cousin living in Canada! he is already canadian citizen.

My first question : is it better to come to canada directly by tourist visa and claim asylum at the airport or through us border??

Second question : is my cousin (( our mums are sisters :) )) considered as a family member as Canada has an agreement called (( Canada-U.S. Safe Third Country Agreement)) ??

Thanks alot in advance to all!!
The Safe Third Country Agreement recognizes a family member as the following:

spouse
legal guardian
child
father or mother
sister or brother
grandfather or grandmother
grandchild
uncle or aunt
nephew or niece
common-law partner
same-sex spouse

(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/menu-safethird.asp#family)

Ahmed Arabi

Dec 10, 2016
Thanks alot zardoz, actually i aware abut that i just wondered if a cousin as can help!

so in this case i can be returned from where i came from?? or there any chance, how about if i come directly to Canada by tourist visa!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Ahmed Arabi said:
Thanks alot zardoz, actually i aware abut that i just wondered if a cousin as can help!

so in this case i can be returned from where i came from?? or there any chance, how about if i come directly to Canada by tourist visa!!
1. Well a cousin isn't on the list, so it won't help, you will have to make your claim in the US.

jkinfo

May 24, 2017
Hi all,
I have a question regarding asylum and need you expert advice.

I and my family wife and kids(under 12) wish to enter in canada thru US Canada border and want to claim asylum at border.

my question is:
I dont have any close relative in canada but my spouse's maternal uncle is citizen, on that basis are we eligible to claim asylum on border?

TIA