12-11-2010
Med's Done....
07-05-10
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
20-06-11
nyssa said:
OH! Thank you for reminding me! I was going to submit my wedding in there (with HIGH HOPES!) I remember going through that while I was planning my wedding :)
Yeah, it's a great resource.

It's so refreshing to see a feminist and non paternalistic wedding resource site that isn't about doves and exorbitantly priced cakes. Such great ideas on there. I will admit though, I don't have any desire to submit our wedding - despite the fact that it'll be quite wacky and fun.

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hbwpg said:
Turtle Love Committee has amazing wedding bands for very cheap - and they're high quality, recycled and ethical if you're into that kind of thing.

The bands we're purchasing are only $60 apiece.

http://www.turtlelovecommittee.com/
Wow thanks for the link. I really like those. :)

How did you ever run across these websites?

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2011, pick up friday !
just look up cheap wedding, or do it yourself wedding you ll find plenty of ideas...

Nej

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, US
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I just got married this past weekend. We had the wedding at our apartment with some family (total of 7) and the marriage comissioner. We went for dressy casual attire - i wore jeans and a dressy black blouse and my husband wore dressy black pants and a hoodie. We didn't want to buy an expensive dress and tux just to wear for one day. We used the money that was going to be for rings to support a charity instead. We're definitely not into rings. :)

mrsJDL

Dec 6, 2009
my wedding was also in a civil ceremony, 4 witnesses only. then 6 guests at the reception. very simple and private. we got married in a different country (where we used to work) so we did not have any family and relatives but we chose our closest friends to be the witnesses. i love purple... so i was wearing a purple dress and my husband was wearing a purple polo. perfect wedding!

alpesantezo

Star Member
Sep 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-03-2010
File Transfer...
11-01-2010
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
19-09-2010
Interview........
NO!
Passport Req..
16-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
01-01-2011
i had a nice but small wedding too.. it was made in the living room of my apartment it cost me 60 dollars for the commisioner and 40 dollars in flowers....i guess the champangne was the most expensive thing but no idea how much was it ... 2 witnesses, my parents of course and 4 more guests.... we weren´t able to gather everybody at the same place so we used our computers and webcams to invite the rest of the family.. and we used skype.. I used a white dress i already owned and he used a tipical shirt from my country... i love my wedding cause i got married with no shoes!!.. jejeje...
i agree.. i doesnt have to be expensive... just significative and real for the 2 people getting married....

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alpesantezo said:
i had a nice but small wedding too.. it was made in the living room of my apartment it cost me 60 dollars for the commisioner and 40 dollars in flowers....i guess the champangne was the most expensive thing but no idea how much was it ... 2 witnesses, my parents of course and 4 more guests.... we weren´t able to gather everybody at the same place so we used our computers and webcams to invite the rest of the family.. and we used skype.. I used a white dress i already owned and he used a tipical shirt from my country... i love my wedding cause i got married with no shoes!!.. jejeje...
i agree.. i doesnt have to be expensive... just significative and real for the 2 people getting married....
This made me "aww". That sounds so cute.
I don't know why I never thought of the webcam idea but that is so good.

Siouxie

Sep 15, 2008
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville / London UK
App. Filed.......
16-02-2005
LANDED..........
26=01=2010
We had a small wedding as well - just us 2, my husbands two children, his son's fiance and my son - we got married in Niagara Falls (Ontario) at the Two Hearts Wedding Chapel lit by candles on a beautiful day in December. We went out for dinner afterwards then spent the night in Niagara.

It didn't cost a lot (apart from the hotel rooms - 4 of them!) and we had a wonderful day. We had already got the marriage licence from our local civic centre and took it with us, the actual ceremony cost around $70 if I remember correctly.

I wore an outfit I got from a store that had discontinues "lines" (I paid under $50 for it) and my husband wore the suit he had already. We took some flowers but the chapel actually had posies to borrow, so we did.

Our children took video's and pictures of the wedding which later we had transferred to a dvd. Our official wedding photo is one my son took of us on the balcony of our hotel overlooking the falls - it is one I treasure.

We had a reception / party 2 days later, and handed out disposable camera's and asked people to snap away, which made for some interesting photo's! We also had my husband's sister take some more "formal" ones of us with the family. We did the catering ourselves and held the reception party at a Veterans Club which was very cheap. We had a friend run the bar and just had to supply the alcohol. (You have to buy a licence from the LLB if you do it that way, most "clubs" will run the bar for you if you don't want to).

There is no need to spend a fortune!

However you do it - enjoy!

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
There is nothing wrong about having a small wedding, unless you've always dreamed of going all out. Me? I'd get stage fright! We will have a day filled with our favorite things ~ our dogs, authentic Mexican food and a few people close to us. Unless you will feel disappointed by a small wedding then there is nothing wrong with the choice. Most important is that it needs to be special to the two of you.

I like the idea of the webcam and the disposable cameras! The computer can record the ceremony with out the cost or trouble of hiring a videographer. BRILLIANT!

alpesantezo

Star Member
Sep 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-03-2010
File Transfer...
11-01-2010
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
19-09-2010
Interview........
NO!
Passport Req..
16-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
01-01-2011
ColorMePanda said:
This made me "aww". That sounds so cute.
I don't know why I never thought of the webcam idea but that is so good.
Thanks... :)

Actually the webcam idea was incredible his family gather at one place and they saw it on my skype account and his best friend signed in on his account.. not difficult good resolution and they were there too!!! cheap and no complex,... actually thats why we did it at my aparment cause the internet connection access

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
alpesantezo said:
Thanks... :)

Actually the webcam idea was incredible his family gather at one place and they saw it on my skype account and his best friend signed in on his account.. not difficult good resolution and they were there too!!! cheap and no complex,... actually thats why we did it at my aparment cause the internet connection access
That is so clever! And you could send out wedding invite to attend in person or by webcam! Did they record it so that you got a copy?

alpesantezo

Star Member
Sep 19, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
13-03-2010
File Transfer...
11-01-2010
Med's Request
16-09-2010
Med's Done....
19-09-2010
Interview........
NO!
Passport Req..
16-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-12-2010
LANDED..........
01-01-2011
tgchi13 said:
That is so clever! And you could send out wedding invite to attend in person or by webcam! Did they record it so that you got a copy?
well we figure out kind of last minute for his friend.. and his family needed his computer to attend so luckily i had 3 laptops on my aparment cause i ask my brother to bring my moms an his with better cameras.. and better resolution.

well i didn´t get a copy from the skype calls but i use an actual camera at the ceremony ....

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
I too love the webcam idea. We almost did that ourselves. There is a chapel in Toronto which features this (if you have a wedding with a maximum of 25 attendants I believe.) Let me see if I can find the link...

http://torontoweddingchapel.com/
(right. easy enough...)

I'm not finding that information anymore about their webcam service, but you can always enquire.

tgchi13

Nov 25, 2009
Ontario Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
NY via Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 08
File Transfer...
05 August 08
Med's Request
April 08
Med's Done....
June 08
Interview........
12 Nov 09
Passport Req..
none
VISA ISSUED...
refused Nov 09
ColorMePanda said:
Wow thanks for the link. I really like those. :)

How did you ever run across these websites?
CMP, and others - Tip, Do not buy your ring(s) through etsy or ebay or any similar site. With all the costs associated with maintaining two households (one in Canada and one in the States) and the Immigration and legal costs, we - as you know - decided to get our rings inexpensively. I paid the day of the sale and the vendor claims to have sent the package nine days later. Despite several communications from us, and rude responses from her we are now out $600 and as she is unwilling to trace the shipment, as only the shipper can. Go to a pawn shop for your rings if need be, please. You can always upgrade later but at least you wont have to endure additional heartbreak during this already heartbreaking process.

learn from our mistake.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would dispute the charge with the credit card company/bank and advise them you were never sent the goods you ordered. They should be able to reverse the charge for you.

tgchi13 said:
CMP, and others - Tip, Do not buy your ring(s) through etsy or ebay or any similar site. With all the costs associated with maintaining two households (one in Canada and one in the States) and the Immigration and legal costs, we - as you know - decided to get our rings inexpensively. I paid the day of the sale and the vendor claims to have sent the package nine days later. Despite several communications from us, and rude responses from her we are now out $600 and as she is unwilling to trace the shipment, as only the shipper can. Go to a pawn shop for your rings if need be, please. You can always upgrade later but at least you wont have to endure additional heartbreak during this already heartbreaking process.

learn from our mistake.