+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship

kiskachica

Jan 21, 2018
just wondering if you have to be in Canada the whole time you are waiting for citizenship? We may have to move to Australia temporarily as my dad has some health issues. Hoping to maybe move there before the citizenship comes through. Would that also be a valid reason to ask for express processing?

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
just wondering if you have to be in Canada the whole time you are waiting for citizenship? We may have to move to Australia temporarily as my dad has some health issues. Hoping to maybe move there before the citizenship comes through. Would that also be a valid reason to ask for express processing?
Hi, could you please share your experience and whether you were able to move overseas after applying for citizenship?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, could you please share your experience and whether you were able to move overseas after applying for citizenship?
You can move out of Canada once you submit your application but please remember you maybe asked to provided fingerprints (some applicants are requested by IRCC but other not, its random). These fp's can be done overseas but it may differ from country to country/agencies.
Second is the test.. you are allowed to give the test from outside Canada but you have to inform IRCC that you are taking this test from overseas. IRCC test invites will have all the details. Some forum members who have taken the test outside of Canada have been subjected slower processing of there application and be prepared that you may face an interview by a IRCC officer to confirm your residency obligations, work history and document check, they may also ask you when are you coming back to Canada and you might be ask to provide the boarding pass/tickets etcc (search about interviews on this forum). Or ask our resident expert @Dreamlad about his ordeal ;)
Last, Oath ceremony.. 99.9% cases IRCC will not allow you take oath from outside Canada.

AkkiV

Star Member
Dec 3, 2017
Thank you @abbas.pasha for such quick response. I have a situation where I have to leave Canada to support my ailing parents and I don't know ho many years I may need to spend overseas before I can move back to Canada. I plan to do so after I submit my citizenship application and wanted to make sure I understand the process completely. I see the waiting time for Citizenship Grant is 23 months as of now and getting a Canadian passport might take more time. Even if it's faster than this, I understand the entire process (citizenship grant, passport, visa for home country) would take at least 1-1.5 years and I don't want to delay moving back to support my parents till then. I am looking for similar cases and how they navigated this scenario.
@Dreamlad please share your guidance/ordeal if you can.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thank you @abbas.pasha for such quick response. I have a situation where I have to leave Canada to support my ailing parents and I don't know ho many years I may need to spend overseas before I can move back to Canada. I plan to do so after I submit my citizenship application and wanted to make sure I understand the process completely. I see the waiting time for Citizenship Grant is 23 months as of now and getting a Canadian passport might take more time. Even if it's faster than this, I understand the entire process (citizenship grant, passport, visa for home country) would take at least 1-1.5 years and I don't want to delay moving back to support my parents till then. I am looking for similar cases and how they navigated this scenario.
@Dreamlad please share your guidance/ordeal if you can.
23 months is a adhoc# so that they are not chased by applicant who file cases against time in court for processing delays.
The processing time for a standard application would be around 12 months.
I have noticed that applicants who applied in 2022/2023 are getting there applications processed much quicker... (search the forum you might find the statics on a google sheet in which forums member have shared there processing dates, I have access to the 2021 sheet
Canadian passport delays are now history. We got our passport under standard processing within 2 weeks in Sep 2022. Now I heard that it is even quicker. For folks with urgent/travel plans they can process your passport application in 1 day even (but extra charges apply for this expedite)
I know that you have to support your folks back home and I hope things get better for you and them soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: AkkiV