+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship - Second time around - FBI Check

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am applying for citizenship the second time since first time I did not really have enough days in country or they did not want to drill down to the days in and out of the country to see if I was l close enough or not. But with the new rules I am finally eligible but my wife noticed this new question 10B if you were out of the country for a total of 183 days or more for four years. Well I have definitely been out of the country more than that, was hoping this was just per year which I could say no. But since I am only 100+ days to the good then likely need it. So is this new to require a police certificate even though already in country as permanent resident. Just seems like an odd request to add. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The police certificate requirement is old and didn't change with the October 2017 C6 updates.

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The police certificate requirement is old and didn't change with the October 2017 C6 updates.
I never did it for citizenship the first time around, only for permanent residency, had to do it for every state I lived in.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
I am applying for citizenship the second time since first time I did not really have enough days in country or they did not want to drill down to the days in and out of the country to see if I was l close enough or not. But with the new rules I am finally eligible but my wife noticed this new question 10B if you were out of the country for a total of 183 days or more for four years. Well I have definitely been out of the country more than that, was hoping this was just per year which I could say no. But since I am only 100+ days to the good then likely need it. So is this new to require a police certificate even though already in country as permanent resident. Just seems like an odd request to add. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
If you click on help button on citizenship form beside 10B further details are available

Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.
Example 1
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.
Example 2
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.
Example 3
In the past 4 years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
Example 4
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.

If in last 4 years combined days are more than 183 you will need PC.

Good Luck

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you click on help button on citizenship form beside 10B further details are available

Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.
Example 1
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.
Example 2
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.
Example 3
In the past 4 years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
Example 4
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.

If in last 4 years combined days are more than 183 you will need PC.

Good Luck
But again is this new since I last applied, since it was never asked last time, not sure if I remember it or maybe I just skipped it and was never asked about it?

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My last submitted application was form cit 0002 (06-2015) E and don't see it on that one.

badar14

Champion Member
May 5, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-05-2010
LANDED..........
06-Aug-2013
But again is this new since I last applied, since it was never asked last time, not sure if I remember it or maybe I just skipped it and was never asked about it?
did you combine days outside Canada all in one country ? If yes than May be your previous application did not even reach at stage where they check for PC as requirement was there in 2015. If your days are not in same country outside Canada than check above examples to determine either you need PC or not.

Good Luck

MW2015

Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
did you combine days outside Canada all in one country ? If yes than May be your previous application did not even reach at stage where they check for PC as requirement was there in 2015. If your days are not in same country outside Canada than check above examples to determine either you need PC or not.

Good Luck
Being I had 600+ days out of country in last 5 years mostly in the US no doubt I have that requirement. Just was never brought up, went all the way to judicial review last time and they suggested I withdraw since records of out of country days were hard to accurately depict the days documented as out of country.