+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship requirements

neina

May 7, 2017
Hello,
I have heard that they ask you to have at least 1467 days for your eligibility for Citizenship. I thought it was 1460 days and sign the application the day after you become eligible to apply.
I was going to send my application right after becoming eligible and not wait a week. Anybody heard of this.
Thank you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,
I have heard that they ask you to have at least 1467 days for your eligibility for Citizenship. I thought it was 1460 days and sign the application the day after you become eligible to apply.
I was going to send my application right after becoming eligible and not wait a week. Anybody heard of this.
Thank you.

1. It is 4 years in the previous 6 so 4*365 =1460

geger

Star Member
Jul 30, 2015
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar-Senegal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
01-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2013
LANDED..........
27-03-2013
Yes but my question is if I'm eligible today with 1460 days can I mail my application tomorrow?
You have th eanswer already

stargazerlilly

Star Member
Sep 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,
Thank you.
Why not. As long as you're sure that you have the 1460 days they require. Some only suggest to give it at least a week to a month buffer to ensure that your application won't be returned for lack of physical presence days. Most applicants have taken vacations/trips abroad,so buffer days are suggested. If you have all days accounted for (even trips,vacations outside Canada) then go ahead.
Best of luck!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
A person meets the 1460 day physical presence requirement when, of course, they have been physically present in Canada for at least 1460 days within the preceding six years, and technically could file the very next day (date application is made does not count).

Doing so is, I will be blunt, stupid. Not just foolish, but stupid. A mistake. Sorry about the strong wording, but it really is. Which is not to say it has not worked for some, perhaps many, but the odds of at least delays in process are much higher with little or no margin over the minimum.

That is, at the least, applying without a buffer risks it taking longer for the process, since it risks IRCC needing to do more to verify actual presence, and it risks a negative outcome if either --
-- any mistake is made in the dates entered in the calculation, or
-- IRCC has any reason to question any days claimed to be in Canada

The less of a margin one has over the minimum, the larger the latter looms.

In any event, waiting longer to apply will probably mean becoming a citizen sooner.