+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship certificate

IMQT_16

Jun 10, 2021
I attend the online ceremony last year but never received the certificate. I already send out the solemn declaration form but still waiting. Is anyone facing the same situation?

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
I attend the online ceremony last year but never received the certificate. I already send out the solemn declaration form but still waiting. Is anyone facing the same situation?
By last year, what month was it?

How did you send the oath form and to which office?

Can you email the office you sent the signed form to as well as a picture of PR card cut in pieces?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Oh my, that is bad! When you say "last year", when exactly was your oath ceremony (what date)? You should send a webform to IRCC because it looks like your citizenship certificate was lost in transit (or somehow never mailed). Did you submit your signed oath form to the email indicated in the oath letter?

IMQT_16

Jun 10, 2021
My ceremony was in August and I wait until November to call ircc. The agent told me to submit the solemn declaration form since they already sent out the certificate. And now, my file is closed which I cant see my status anymore. I dont know what to do now. I keep calling ircc. They just only told me to wait and be patient. I'm totally frustrated since its been almost a year

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
My ceremony was in August and I wait until November to call ircc. The agent told me to submit the solemn declaration form since they already sent out the certificate. And now, my file is closed which I cant see my status anymore. I dont know what to do now. I keep calling ircc. They just only told me to wait and be patient. I'm totally frustrated since its been almost a year
This is really bad. You should have contacted IRCC within 2 - 4 weeks after the oath date if you did not receive your certificate. I think you should involve your MP and have this looked into.

Find your MP and then give them the complete details of your situation and tell them you've been following up with IRCC for like a year and never got any satisfactory response. Request your MP's office to look into this and tell them you've been extremely stressed out because of this and highlight the fact you haven't been able to apply for your Canadian passport because you never received your citizenship certificate. Also tell them you've submitted the 'Solemn Declaration' long back.

It should NOT take IRCC this long to re-issue a citizenship certificate where the applicant was NOT at fault. This is just stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: thesonicbro

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
This is really bad. You should have contacted IRCC within 2 - 4 weeks after the oath date if you did not receive your certificate. I think you should involve your MP and have this looked into.

Find your MP and then give them the complete details of your situation and tell them you've been following up with IRCC for like a year and never got any satisfactory response. Request your MP's office to look into this and tell them you've been extremely stressed out because of this and highlight the fact you haven't been able to apply for your Canadian passport because you never received your citizenship certificate. Also tell them you've submitted the 'Solemn Declaration' long back.

It should NOT take IRCC this long to re-issue a citizenship certificate where the applicant was NOT at fault. This is just stupid.
There is also another post about the same issue. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-certificate-delay-delivery-after-virtual-ceremony.706588/post-9427007

I wonder if it has anything to do with incomplete items such as details on the "Oath or affirmation of citizenship" form.

With regards to "Solemn Declaration" form, do you know if it would be required to sign as well along the "Oath of affirmation of citizenship" form?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
There is also another post about the same issue. https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-certificate-delay-delivery-after-virtual-ceremony.706588/post-9427007

I wonder if it has anything to do with incomplete items such as details on the "Oath or affirmation of citizenship" form.

With regards to "Solemn Declaration" form, do you know if it would be required to sign as well along the "Oath of affirmation of citizenship" form?
Solemn declaration will be signed when you are claiming to IRCC that you NEVER received the citizenship certificate and are requesting them to send you a new one. For example, if you are done with oath and IRCC mails the certificate and the certificate is lost in transit. In this case, you'll contact IRCC and tell them that you never received your citizenship certificate. You'll then have to sign the solemn declaration promising that you never received the citizenship certificate. This is required by IRCC so that they can re-send the document to you.

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
Solemn declaration will be signed when you are claiming to IRCC that you NEVER received the citizenship certificate and are requesting them to send you a new one. For example, if you are done with oath and IRCC mails the certificate and the certificate is lost in transit. In this case, you'll contact IRCC and tell them that you never received your citizenship certificate. You'll then have to sign the solemn declaration promising that you never received the citizenship certificate. This is required by IRCC so that they can re-send the document to you.
Thanks.

It is interesting they included signing solemn declaration instruction in the oath letter in the "After the video oath ceremony" section with the word (if applicable) next to it.

Isn't attending the ceremony is meant for new granted citizens who never received a certificate?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thanks.

It is interesting they included signing solemn declaration instruction in the oath letter in the "After the video oath ceremony" section with the word (if applicable) next to it.

Isn't attending the ceremony is meant for new granted citizens who never received a certificate?
No No, I think you are confusing yourself.

Solemn declaration will be requested when IRCC claims it has already sent the certificates but you claim that you've never received it. In the example of the OP, s/he completed oath in August 2020. The certificate never reached him/her so the OP contacted IRCC in November 2020 claiming that no citizenship certificate was received. IRCC told the OP that the certificate was already sent. I'm thinking the certificate must have been LOST in transit. So, IRCC requested a solemn declaration from the OP to confirm that he/she never received the citizenship certificate.

The solemn declaration in the oath invitation letter is NOT for citizenship certificate. You'll have to show your PR card at the citizenship ceremony. If you have lost your PR card or never ever received your PR card since you became a PR (basically, if you cannot produce a PR card at the citizenship ceremony), you will have to fill out a solemn declaration stating the reason (lost PR card or never received it).

thesonicbro

Jul 24, 2016
No No, I think you are confusing yourself.

Solemn declaration will be requested when IRCC claims it has already sent the certificates but you claim that you've never received it. In the example of the OP, s/he completed oath in August 2020. The certificate never reached him/her so the OP contacted IRCC in November 2020 claiming that no citizenship certificate was received. IRCC told the OP that the certificate was already sent. I'm thinking the certificate must have been LOST in transit. So, IRCC requested a solemn declaration from the OP to confirm that he/she never received the citizenship certificate.

The solemn declaration in the oath invitation letter is NOT for citizenship certificate. You'll have to show your PR card at the citizenship ceremony. If you have lost your PR card or never ever received your PR card since you became a PR (basically, if you cannot produce a PR card at the citizenship ceremony), you will have to fill out a solemn declaration stating the reason (lost PR card or never received it).
I apologize. I did read that part of lost PR solemn declaration form.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram