+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship ceremony

sprinbok

Nov 2, 2015
Hello Everyone,

I passed my test on the 10th June 2015. Since then the CIC website has stated that the citizenship ceremony is due to take place in the middle of November (It has shown this for the last 5 months). I have not received any notice to appear letter yet. It is now the 2nd of November.

I checked the website again today and the main page is still saying mid November, but when I delved deeper into the ceremony date search engine it is now coming up with December 2nd as the actual date.

I have planned my personal and business life around the mid November dates - like any normal person would - and will be overseas on business from the 1st December. Cannot cancel this.

Does anyone know what the routine is for re-scheduling a ceremony appointment and is it possible to have the ceremony in another city of the same Province??? I am based on Vancouver Island and they only come here twice a year to do the ceremonies - Believe it or not???? If I have to wait for them to come back again, it will be over 1 year from the date I took and passed my citizenship test to becoming a citizen.

Starting to feel that I'm not really wanted in Canada :(

Dec 1, 2014
Hi Sprinbok,

I guess you are in Nanaimo or just took the test in Nanaimo? My busband and some other friends took their test on the same day and haven't received the letter for oath yet, my husband's CIC status shows Decision made and no updates ever since. The exact date for the nearest ceremony would be some day between Nov.16-20, my bet is on 20th, as they normally put the ceremony on the last day when the itinerary team is here.

My suggestion is that you call the CIC centre and check if the letter for taking oath has been sent out, I doubt it would really help as the agents there usually don't have a clue what's actually going on, all they tell you is to be patient. But I think you can at least find out the exact date of the ceremony, and if it conflicts with your schedule. If it does, you can tell them you won't be able to be here on that date and they will rearrange you for another ceremony at your convinience. You don't have to be taking the oath in Nanaimo, you can ask them to transfer your case to some other cities, e.g. Victoria or Vancouver, I just don't know whether it would even pull the timeline longer, worth trying anyway.

janoo

May 16, 2014
Hi... my humble advise if their is oath letter received you can take the oath and
finish this matter otherwise it will drag and waiting time will be much more.

sprinbok

Nov 2, 2015
yvonneislander said:
Hi Sprinbok,

I guess you are in Nanaimo or just took the test in Nanaimo? My busband and some other friends took their test on the same day and haven't received the letter for oath yet, my husband's CIC status shows Decision made and no updates ever since. The exact date for the nearest ceremony would be some day between Nov.16-20, my bet is on 20th, as they normally put the ceremony on the last day when the itinerary team is here.

My suggestion is that you call the CIC centre and check if the letter for taking oath has been sent out, I doubt it would really help as the agents there usually don't have a clue what's actually going on, all they tell you is to be patient. But I think you can at least find out the exact date of the ceremony, and if it conflicts with your schedule. If it does, you can tell them you won't be able to be here on that date and they will rearrange you for another ceremony at your convinience. You don't have to be taking the oath in Nanaimo, you can ask them to transfer your case to some other cities, e.g. Victoria or Vancouver, I just don't know whether it would even pull the timeline longer, worth trying anyway.
Thanks for the reply Yvonne. Good to know that I am not alone in NOT receiving my letter for oath.

The November date has been showing on the main website for the last 5 months, but this week I found deep in the website the 2nd December at Beban Park (same place that the test was taken in June), with 3 ceremonies all happening on the same day. I see another has been added today for the 4th December...

How hard can it be to let people know even 2 months in advance for this sort of thing? Truly pathetic.

Dec 1, 2014
Hi Sprinbok,

You are right, I had later checked the CIC website about the ceremony schedule(a seperate page from the itinerant service schedule) which shows the ceremony will be on Dec.2nd and Dec.4th. I can only assume that this might be the reason why the oath ivitation had been delayed for so long. There might be some issue with the Port Theatre which used to be the ceremony spot for last few years, and the invitation letters cann't be sent out before they can set another spot.

Anyway, you are definitely not alone, I've just talked to one of our friends who also sat the test on June 10th, she didn't get the letter either. It IS frustrating, when you are totally in dark about what's going on. Hope you can eventrually sort out the time confliction.