+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship card in process and PR about to expire?

Z

zaza39

:'(

I am really in a knd of hot seat right now.My Citizenship exam istaking for ever.Been told that my paper is in Winnipeg since February this year and it does not take more than 9 mths??? ( December ? if not next year?).The process is slow.I do not know what is happening nowadays?

My PR card is about to expire in November. I cannot rely on my citizenship application in way .I think of it like it will happen when it will happen.

I am also aware that i cannot stay without a PR card if I have to travel outside Canada.I have all my documents ready to renewl my PR card.I am just thinking if i have to wait or just send it over to Sydney?

Anybody with some advise?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I would renew your PR card in case you have to travel out of the country. Better safe than sorry.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't have to wait. You can send in the application now. I was in a similar situation when I was waiting for citizenship. Not knowing what would happen when, I sent in to renew, then was called for test and oath while I was waiting for the PR card.

However, if you are in the situation that you have applied for citizenship and are waiting, if you do decide to travel, you need to have somebody check your mail for you. When you get called in for the test/oath, you may not have much notice. I was given 10 days for one of them, 14 for the other.

Z

zaza39

Thank you so much .I was thinking of this situation too.

Magtataho

Oct 3, 2012
Hi
We are at the same boat. My PR was expired last month. Took the citizenship exam with an expired PR and i always go to US to buy some stuff. All you have to do EVEN with an expired PR Card is to show them the Original Confirmation of landing papers. (Remember the paper the you showed with the immigration officer when you first arrived in canada) thats it!!! Supported with your expired PR card and any letter supporting that you applied for Citizenship already.
The original confirmation of your landing papers NEVER expires. Thats what i did and still doing it right now till i get my oath if ever i had a chance to get one ( God willing).
Why do you have to spend some money to renew your PR card while your citizenship is in process. That does'nt make any sense at all. Its a complete waste of money my friend. As long as you have a valid visa to go to US and come back to Canada with the Original confirmation of your landing docs and expired PR card. That would be fine. Ciao !!!

random123

Star Member
Oct 16, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-04-2013
Med's Request
16-01-2014
Med's Done....
21-01-2014
Passport Req..
08-02-2014
Hi Leon:

Did you get your PR card application package back since you got Citizenship before that application was processed? Did you get a refund?

Thank you!

Leon said:
You don't have to wait. You can send in the application now. I was in a similar situation when I was waiting for citizenship. Not knowing what would happen when, I sent in to renew, then was called for test and oath while I was waiting for the PR card.

However, if you are in the situation that you have applied for citizenship and are waiting, if you do decide to travel, you need to have somebody check your mail for you. When you get called in for the test/oath, you may not have much notice. I was given 10 days for one of them, 14 for the other.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
random123 said:
Hi Leon:

Did you get your PR card application package back since you got Citizenship before that application was processed? Did you get a refund?
When I got citizenship, I notified them that I did not need the new PR card anymore. Still I received a letter a month or so after I got my citizenship to come to local office and pick up my new PR card. I phoned them again and they said the letter was in error and my PR card application had been stopped. However, I never sent any package for my PR card application, just the forms and the processing fee for a PR renewal is only $50 so I never asked for it back, besides, they already did process it.

ajslp

Star Member
Apr 4, 2012
Magtataho said:
i always go to US to buy some stuff. All you have to do EVEN with an expired PR Card is to show them the Original Confirmation of landing papers. (Remember the paper the you showed with the immigration officer when you first arrived in canada) thats it!!! Supported with your expired PR card
I believe you can cross land border in private car using Landing Paper(IMM 1000). But if you are crossing border in commercial vehicles like bus, train or plane, you will need a valid PR card.

Z

zaza39

I do not know how long i will wait to take the oath after my test. My exam is in the middle of this month .Not sure if i will cancelled my PR application i guess. Yes i paid $50 to renew it.