+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship calculator

WednesdayBlues

Nov 11, 2017
I'd love some clarity as unsure how the physical presence calculator works... some context below:

5 year range: 24 Oct 2019 to 23rd Oct 2024
Total # of days present during this period: 1095 (should nothing between now until 23rd Oct 2024)
Date that I expect to sign the application: 23rd Oct 2024

I maintain an excel sheet that has all in & out days for this period. Entered the same period on the physical presence calculator web.

On the sheet it says I should be eligible by 23rd Oct 2024, should nothing change but on the physical presence website it says I am only eligible on Dec 21st 2024.

Which one is right? Why is there a discrepancy? Appreciate any input here.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I'd love some clarity as unsure how the physical presence calculator works... some context below:

Total # of days present during this period: 1095 (should nothing between now until 23rd Oct 2024)

I maintain an excel sheet that has all in & out days for this period. Entered the same period on the physical presence calculator web.

On the sheet it says I should be eligible by 23rd Oct 2024, should nothing change but on the physical presence website it says I am only eligible on Dec 21st 2024.

2019 to 2024 was it all PR days?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Sounds like you've entered something incorrectly into the calculator. Or the math on your Excel spreadsheet is wrong. You'll need to figure out which it is.

It's advisable to apply with a buffer of at least a few weeks vs applying at 1095 days.

If you are short event one day, you will be refused.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Posting to emphasize the observations by @scylla . . .

. . . As for explaining the discrepancy in the calculation, so far as reliable reporting goes there has been NO indication of errors in the online physical presence calculator's calculation based on the travel dates entered; lots and lots of examples of erroneous outcomes due to input errors. That is, if the information entered into the physical presence calculator is accurate AND complete, the count of days is correct. No credible hint otherwise.

. . . For sure, waiting to apply well AFTER the first date of meeting the physical presence requirement, applying with a good margin over the minimum, is by far the prudent approach, and this is for multiple reasons, not the least is recognizing that a total stranger bureaucrat will be deciding if in conducting routine screening the application is sufficient on its face to establish the presence requirement has been met, OR if additional non-routine review should be done in order to verify physical presence, the latter risking delays ranging from a little to a lot.

And, as @scylla noted, if there is a mistake resulting in being short, even by just one day, there is NO leeway, IRCC does NOT have the authority to grant citizenship. The application must be denied. Among some of the more common errors some have made, in addition to overlooking a trip, is using passport stamps to determine dates of travel overlooking that dates of entry and dates of exit for other countries can be off by a day, or in some instances by two days relative to actual dates of exit from Canada and date of arrival in Canada (passport stamp showing dates of arrival in east Asian countries, following trans-Pacific flights from Canada for example, are almost always at least a day later than date of exit from Canada, sometimes two day later).

WednesdayBlues

Nov 11, 2017
Sounds like you've entered something incorrectly into the calculator. Or the math on your Excel spreadsheet is wrong. You'll need to figure out which it is.

It's advisable to apply with a buffer of at least a few weeks vs applying at 1095 days.

If you are short event one day, you will be refused.
For the life of me, i just can't seem to figure where i'm going wrong. The formula's on the sheet are not messed up, had it reviewed by someone who'd also used the same sheet to apply, perfectly went through for him though he had excess of 1095. Point taken though in terms of giving some buffer. I don't wanna mess this up, I still have plenty of time all while unsure why the dates don't match. i'll have a further look. appreciate it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
For the life of me, i just can't seem to figure where i'm going wrong. The formula's on the sheet are not messed up, had it reviewed by someone who'd also used the same sheet to apply, perfectly went through for him though he had excess of 1095. Point taken though in terms of giving some buffer. I don't wanna mess this up, I still have plenty of time all while unsure why the dates don't match. i'll have a further look. appreciate it.
The calculator is accurate. So if you are sure the spreadsheet is correct, then you've made an error entering that data into the calculator. Maybe have someone double check everything you have entered. You've made an error somewhere. Good luck sorting out.

rewefk

Apr 11, 2024

If you sign your application on 23 Oct 2024, then your 5 year eligibility period for physical presence calculations would be 23 Oct 2019 to 22 Oct 2024.
You need to satisfy the physical presence requirements the day before you sign the application.