+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship by descent - Grandfather

colind1977

Jun 23, 2021
Application sent late Dec 2019, received Jan 30th 2020, Acknowledged as received Sept 22nd 2020, In Process May 27th 2021

It's getting close to a descision as far as I can tell from the IRCC website and I'm getting nervous...

My question is this:

My grandfather was serving with the West Nova Scotia Regiment in the UK when my father was born and he had left with the Regiment for Italy as far as I am aware at the time of my Dad's birth. My Dad only became aware that his father was a Canadian Serviceman when he was 29 (death of his step-father caused the truth to come out).

Having traced my family tree back to the Nova Scotia South Shore and visiting the place 3 years ago, I decided to look into moving there and thought this was the obvious route. I've read up as much as I can, but the closer it gets to a potential decision the more worried I'm getting being of second generation born outside Canada.

I understand the only exception to the first generation restriction is that of children born to children of members of the Canadian Armed Forces.

Do any of you think that the ourcome of my application for proof of citizenship is likely to succeed based on the information given above?

Thanks,

Colin

colind1977

Jun 23, 2021
Than you for that. My Grandfather was born in Nova Scotia as we're both his parents and we can trace back to native Mik'Mak down my Great Grandmother's line.

colind1977

Jun 23, 2021
My application is now a stage further on as I now have proof that my Grandfather was in military service in the UK when my father was born and that has been accepted by IRCC. The next issue that they have thrown at me is that his name doen't appear on my fathers birth certificate... rules in the UK state that when parents are not married, the fathers name can only go on the birth certificate if he is present at the registration of the birth... sadly, my Grandfather wasn't...

IRCC are now asking for DNA proof of "kinship". The labs are suggesting that we need samples from my Dad and a sibling, preferably with the same mother... that's not possible, but as IRCC are only aking for "kinship" would a 13% DNA match between my father and his first cousin be good enough to fulfil the "kinship" criteria using the definition of kinship as being "the state of fact of being kin; family relationship". The Letter asks for a familial relationship, so I would have thought that a first cousin would be close enough to prove family... any thoughts?

I'm currently waiting to hear back from the labs on what they think would suffice and trying to locate my fathers half siblings, but at this stage I dont think they are willing to accept this branch of the family tree...

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
You'll just have to ask IRCC how far down the family tree they will accept under their definition of kinship and familial relationship, but I would think that they would want the DNA report to say 'with a high degree of certainty' that the parentage link is there, instead of it being a remote chance based off of extended family members.