+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship Application: Waiting on PR card for minor children

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
My children have a citizen parent, but were not born citizens. In February, they got PR, and we immediately submitted their application for citizenship. We are still waiting for their PR cards. What happens if their citizenship file is complete, and we are requested to mail in their PR cards before we get them? From others, it looks like the citizenship process for minors applying alone is taking only 4-5 months.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
There is nothing else to do but tell the truth. Is there a way to speed up the PR card processing? We are already outside their normal processing times.
Is it particularly a problem? If you've not planned any travels, I'd put the effort into getting the citizenship done.

Have you received AOR for the citzienship app yet?

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
Is it particularly a problem? If you've not planned any travels, I'd put the effort into getting the citizenship done.

Have you received AOR for the citzienship app yet?
Only a problem in that it will delay the process. Yes, we've received AOR for the citizenship application.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Only a problem in that it will delay the process. Yes, we've received AOR for the citizenship application.
I don't think we know it will delay the process.

And if you don't have travel planned in near term for the children, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
I don't think we know it will delay the process.

And if you don't have travel planned in near term for the children, it shouldn't be much of an issue.
I'm confused by this response. It is pretty clear that the last step in the process for minor children is to mail in their PR cards, with the Citizenship Certificate mailed out shortly after PR cards are sent in. If we can't mail in the PR cards, that will delay the process. Some people have been waiting 6-9 months plus for their PR cards.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm confused by this response. It is pretty clear that the last step in the process for minor children is to mail in their PR cards, with the Citizenship Certificate mailed out shortly after PR cards are sent in. If we can't mail in the PR cards, that will delay the process. Some people have been waiting 6-9 months plus for their PR cards.
You are assuming that IRCC will not accept the truthful response that you have not received a card (because they have not provided it).

Particularly since IRCC itself produces the cards and will know better than anyone (including you) that it has not yet been provided to you.

So yes, I don't think it's a given that it will delay the process. It's only speculation.

GreenDragon

Apr 5, 2022
You are assuming that IRCC will not accept the truthful response that you have not received a card (because they have not provided it).

Particularly since IRCC itself produces the cards and will know better than anyone (including you) that it has not yet been provided to you.

So yes, I don't think it's a given that it will delay the process. It's only speculation.
I'm assuming that there are two different offices: one that is responsible for printing PR cards, one that needs to make sure that I don't have both a PR card and a Citizenship Certificate. You are assuming that these two processes can be coordinated (or can you point me to a thread where they have been), and that the later office can cancel the PR card printing of the former office. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this process. Have adults applied for PR renewal, gotten their oath invitation, handed in their old PR card, and had their new PR card request canceled? Or has anyone else had this experience with never getting minor PR cards and not having to turn them in?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm assuming that there are two different offices: one that is responsible for printing PR cards, one that needs to make sure that I don't have both a PR card and a Citizenship Certificate. You are assuming that these two processes can be coordinated (or can you point me to a thread where they have been), and that the later office can cancel the PR card printing of the former office.
Yes, I am assuming that there is at least the possibility that IRCC will be able to confirm internally the status of PR card printing and deal with it. (Note, I'm not claiming that this WILL happen, just that we do not KNOW it will be delayed).

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this process. Have adults applied for PR renewal, gotten their oath invitation, handed in their old PR card, and had their new PR card request canceled? Or has anyone else had this experience with never getting minor PR cards and not having to turn them in?
I don't recall having seen any such cases. You can certainly try calling IRCC or eg inquire through your MP.

My assumption on that is: without some actual 'live' issue, or some clear case of either urgency or massive delay, both will more or less respond that nothing has actually happened yet and you can just wait.

Related part of my assumption: that it would be a lot of time eg on hold with little benefit, but that's up to you to decide.

Good luck.