+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship application - Language proof question

Greg220

Feb 4, 2018
Hello all,

first I want to apologize if posting this under wrong section, I just couldn't find any subsection regarding Citizenship applications.

My question should be pretty simple. I am about to apply for Canadian Citizenship and I passed CELPIP-G 5-6 years ago. It is expired, but it still should be good to apply for citizenship.

Now when I go through CIC website to find out if I can use my CELPIP results to apply, I get to this question:

Did you immigrate to Canada through a federal immigration program requiring a third-party test result for language ability (e.g. Federal Skilled Workers, Canadian Experience Class)?

I immigrated to Canada through Provincial Nominee Program.
And I couldn't find any info anywhere to confirm that my CELPIP is valid to apply.

Pure logic tells me it is, but I just want to confirm that.

Thanks

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hello all,

first I want to apologize if posting this under wrong section, I just couldn't find any subsection regarding Citizenship applications.

My question should be pretty simple. I am about to apply for Canadian Citizenship and I passed CELPIP-G 5-6 years ago. It is expired, but it still should be good to apply for citizenship.

Now when I go through CIC website to find out if I can use my CELPIP results to apply, I get to this question:

Did you immigrate to Canada through a federal immigration program requiring a third-party test result for language ability (e.g. Federal Skilled Workers, Canadian Experience Class)?

I immigrated to Canada through Provincial Nominee Program.
And I couldn't find any info anywhere to confirm that my CELPIP is valid to apply.

Pure logic tells me it is, but I just want to confirm that.

Thanks
If you took and submitted the CELPIP test for immigrating to Canada then, according to the guide, it will be accepted even if expired. Caveat being it had to have been used for immigration in the past.

From the guide,

Results from a third-party language test

Your language test result must be equal to the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB/NCLC)/Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens level 4 or higher in speaking and listening. If you did the test in the past for immigration or citizenship purposes, we will accept the results even if it has expired.

Examples of third-party tests include:

• Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program General Test (CELPIP-G) or the CELPIP-General LS (listening and speaking).
    • If you took the test after April 1, 2014, you must have a score of level 4 or higher in listening and speaking.
    • If you took the test before April 1, 2014, you must have a score of 2H or higher (i.e., 3L, 3H, 4L, 4H, 5L, or 5H) in listening and speaking.

Greg220

Feb 4, 2018
Thank you very much, this is what I was looking for.

I did not see that part in the guide. Yes, I used my CELPIP in my application.

I am almost done with my application, I have just 1 last question about tax returns and would appreciate an advice.

I have files tax return for tax years 2012-2013-2014-2015-2016.
For the 2017 I haven't done it yet, I will do it probably beginning of March.

So in the application, under taxes, should I mention 2017 (required to file YES, taxes filled NO) and attach an explanation letter?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Thank you very much, this is what I was looking for.

I did not see that part in the guide. Yes, I used my CELPIP in my application.

I am almost done with my application, I have just 1 last question about tax returns and would appreciate an advice.

I have files tax return for tax years 2012-2013-2014-2015-2016.
For the 2017 I haven't done it yet, I will do it probably beginning of March.

So in the application, under taxes, should I mention 2017 (required to file YES, taxes filled NO) and attach an explanation letter?
Yes, that is the correct thing to do. Please refer to the following thread by @spyfy on the same topic. Good luck!

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/service-announcement-taxation-years-for-early-2018-applications.542063/

Greg220

Feb 4, 2018
OK perfect perfect thanks.

Ohh my, so many questions where a small unintentional mistake could happen.

What about the employment and education history?

I was unemployed for 6 months. Who should I list as Name of Contact? (myself?)
Also I am self-employed for 2 years now. Who should I list as Name of Contact? (myself again?)

You are helping a lot with your answers.
Highly appreciated.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
OK perfect perfect thanks.

Ohh my, so many questions where a small unintentional mistake could happen.

What about the employment and education history?

I was unemployed for 6 months. Who should I list as Name of Contact? (myself?)
Also I am self-employed for 2 years now. Who should I list as Name of Contact? (myself again?)

You are helping a lot with your answers.
Highly appreciated.
Hmm, is there someone who can vouch for your whereabouts while you were unemployed, maybe spouse ? Same goes for self-employed. You could put your name as a last resort.

Greg220

Feb 4, 2018
Hmmm...

Well what I will do, I will list my friend who was my roommate at the time I was unemployed.

And then I will list my spouse as my contact for self-employment.

I don't know who else to list, other than business contacts,etc.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Hmmm...

Well what I will do, I will list my friend who was my roommate at the time I was unemployed.

And then I will list my spouse as my contact for self-employment.

I don't know who else to list, other than business contacts,etc.
IMO, business contacts should be fine.

Greg220

Feb 4, 2018
Well, I'm not too close to anybody to involve them in the application.

I mean, I can list suppliers or other businesses I work with.
But that doesn't make sense, as those are people I buy products from or sell to, and probably won't even know me by personal name.
Things change. If I list a company manager that I work with today, 6 months or 1 year from now, he might not even remember me, as I honestly don't remember half of the people I used to work with.

I have absolutely no problem proving I am self-employed, present in Canada and paying taxes.
There is literally hundreds of documents and invoices with my signature on my company letterhead.

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Well, I'm not too close to anybody to involve them in the application.

I mean, I can list suppliers or other businesses I work with.
But that doesn't make sense, as those are people I buy products from or sell to, and probably won't even know me by personal name.
Things change. If I list a company manager that I work with today, 6 months or 1 year from now, he might not even remember me, as I honestly don't remember half of the people I used to work with.

I have absolutely no problem proving I am self-employed, present in Canada and paying taxes.
There is literally hundreds of documents and invoices with my signature on my company letterhead.
Hmm yeah, not a good idea to list someone who could easily forget you. But I do feel that it's important to list someone you work with, rather than yourself.

Greg220

Feb 4, 2018
Hmm yeah, not a good idea to list someone who could easily forget you. But I do feel that it's important to list someone you work with, rather than yourself.
Ohh yes, definitely.

I just realized that my company address and location has changed 2 years ago.
Do you think I should list it under 2 separate rows, with appropriate dates and locations of the business?

Ohh my, as I go through the application, new questions just pop up

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Ohh yes, definitely.

I just realized that my company address and location has changed 2 years ago.
Do you think I should list it under 2 separate rows, with appropriate dates and locations of the business?

Ohh my, as I go through the application, new questions just pop up
Yes, better to list it as 2 separate entries IMO.