+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship app : Q15. Language requirement: using abroad certificates

hsharpreet

Aug 1, 2020
Hi All,

My wife, who arrived at spousal visa and later received PR without IELTS (secondary applicant), wants to prove her language proficiency in Citizenship application. She did IELTS Academic to get admission into a university last year but haven't taken any admission yet in Canada so she only have the followings:

1. IELTS Academic: I believe that only IELTS GT is accepted, so still I'd like to know if anyone has submitted this recently and was approved?
  2. Master degree from India: She has masters in arts (English), Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) from India - I understand that degrees from abroad are accepted but I'd like to know if anyone had used abroad degree in their file - what did you submit? did that work out? how did you submit?
    1. The degree does specify that the degree was completed in English which I believe ticks the requirements
I'm thinking to talk to them on the next business day, confirm if that is acceptable. If degree is acceptable, I'd attach Detail Mark sheets(DMCs), Degree certificate for Master of Arts in English.

Would you suggest attaching IELTS Academic in "additional documents"?
and/or suggest to get letter(please share template if anyone has it) from institution to write that the medium was English and attach with the Degree + DMC? I know the answer this would probably be yes as this doesn't hurt the application but I don't want to do if it is necessary as it is headache to get that letters stamped in India.

Thanks all!

hsharpreet

Aug 1, 2020
I dont think they specify if IELTS GT or Academic is needed. You can safely submit that along with a copy of her PhD certificate.
Actually they did specify in the Application guide that only IELTS GT is acceptable.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), General Training. You must have a score of..

I'd like to know if anyone had a luck after submitting IELTS Academic OR abroad certificates (without WES, as is degrees). Thanks

Last edited:

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Actually they did specify in the Application guide that only IELTS GT is acceptable.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS), General Training. You must have a score of..

I'd like to know if anyone had a luck after submitting IELTS Academic OR abroad certificates (without WES, as is degrees). Thanks
IELTS Academic won't be accepted and people had there application returned because of it.

Go thru the below thread and check the last answer from dineshrehab. Sending the transcript and degree certificate should work.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/degree-as-language-proof-for-citizenship.672186/