+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship and unpaid Taxes

irccsux

Mar 8, 2023
I should probably change my username to IRCCCRABOTHSUCK. Here is what happened: Wife and I applied for citizenship last summer. In December, we both got invited to the test and we both passed on the same day. We were abroad at the time. About a month after having passed the test, I received an email from IRCC requesting the following:

1. Scans of all pages of my passport
2. Valid provincial ID
3. Request to let them know once I return to Canada

I sent 1 and 2 that same day and told them when I am planning on returning to Canada and that I would let them know as soon as I'm back. While still abroad, about a month after I sent the above, my wife received her invitation for the oath ceremony while my file hasn't been updated since Christmas (besides that ghost update we all got in March). Obviously, we want to attend the oath ceremony together so I sent a webform asking them to confirm that they have received my documents mentioned above. A few days later I get a response saying that they can confirm that they have received the documents. Then, a few weeks after that, we came back to Canada (way too early, it's still so cold up here lol) and I immediately informed IRCC through the webform that we're both back to Canada and provided proof of our return. In the webform, I once again stressed the fact that my wife, who has already been invited to the ceremony, and I would like to attend the ceremony together. A few days later, I receive a response just thanking me for letting them know about our return. Since then, radio silence again.

Today, I started working on my 2022 tax return and logged into my CRA account. Low and behold, I'm seeing that I owe over $8,000 in taxes and interest. Spoiler alert: I do not. So, what happened is, last spring, I submitted a $$$$ amount to CRA prior to having filed my taxes. Then I filed my taxes and with it, I submitted another $$$$ amount to cover the rest. Here is what the smart people at CRA did: They applied the amount I submitted with my tax return to my 2021 taxes but left the initial amount I paid (although I clearly labelled it as "taxes for 2021 tax year") just sitting in my CRA as "credit", leaving a large amount of taxes sitting in my account as "unpaid" accruing interest on it while I had the money sitting in my CRA account as credit but they didn't think of applying that amount towards my taxes. Really smart people the Canadian gov't hires with our tax money, but that's another story. So, I was steaming today as you can imagine. I called CRA, yelled at them for half an hour and they promised to fix this. I asked the CRA employee if the fake tax debt could affect my citizenship application and she said she doesn't know. I asked when can I expect them to fix their bull**** and she answered "10 business days". I asked if they will inform IRCC themselves that my taxes are paid and she said "no, they only provide information if IRCC inquires".

So, my question to the braintrust of this forum: Do you think the $8k in outstanding taxes, which actually wasn't outstanding, it was just a brain fart by the smart people who are being paid with our tax dollars, is the reason why IRCC is dragging their feet with my citizenship application? What are my options? IRCC ain't talking. Hotline keeps hanging up. Webform responses are pointless. Do I sue? If so, who? CRA? IRCC? Neither are saying that my application is in limbo because of that, but honestly, I wouldn't know why else. I have the same travel and address history as my wife. My background check is already checked as completed. Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I should probably change my username to IRCCCRABOTHSUCK. Here is what happened: Wife and I applied for citizenship last summer. In December, we both got invited to the test and we both passed on the same day. We were abroad at the time. About a month after having passed the test, I received an email from IRCC requesting the following:

1. Scans of all pages of my passport
2. Valid provincial ID
3. Request to let them know once I return to Canada

I sent 1 and 2 that same day and told them when I am planning on returning to Canada and that I would let them know as soon as I'm back. While still abroad, about a month after I sent the above, my wife received her invitation for the oath ceremony while my file hasn't been updated since Christmas (besides that ghost update we all got in March). Obviously, we want to attend the oath ceremony together so I sent a webform asking them to confirm that they have received my documents mentioned above. A few days later I get a response saying that they can confirm that they have received the documents. Then, a few weeks after that, we came back to Canada (way too early, it's still so cold up here lol) and I immediately informed IRCC through the webform that we're both back to Canada and provided proof of our return. In the webform, I once again stressed the fact that my wife, who has already been invited to the ceremony, and I would like to attend the ceremony together. A few days later, I receive a response just thanking me for letting them know about our return. Since then, radio silence again.

Today, I started working on my 2022 tax return and logged into my CRA account. Low and behold, I'm seeing that I owe over $8,000 in taxes and interest. Spoiler alert: I do not. So, what happened is, last spring, I submitted a $$$$ amount to CRA prior to having filed my taxes. Then I filed my taxes and with it, I submitted another $$$$ amount to cover the rest. Here is what the smart people at CRA did: They applied the amount I submitted with my tax return to my 2021 taxes but left the initial amount I paid (although I clearly labelled it as "taxes for 2021 tax year") just sitting in my CRA as "credit", leaving a large amount of taxes sitting in my account as "unpaid" accruing interest on it while I had the money sitting in my CRA account as credit but they didn't think of applying that amount towards my taxes. Really smart people the Canadian gov't hires with our tax money, but that's another story. So, I was steaming today as you can imagine. I called CRA, yelled at them for half an hour and they promised to fix this. I asked the CRA employee if the fake tax debt could affect my citizenship application and she said she doesn't know. I asked when can I expect them to fix their bull**** and she answered "10 business days". I asked if they will inform IRCC themselves that my taxes are paid and she said "no, they only provide information if IRCC inquires".

So, my question to the braintrust of this forum: Do you think the $8k in outstanding taxes, which actually wasn't outstanding, it was just a brain fart by the smart people who are being paid with our tax dollars, is the reason why IRCC is dragging their feet with my citizenship application? What are my options? IRCC ain't talking. Hotline keeps hanging up. Webform responses are pointless. Do I sue? If so, who? CRA? IRCC? Neither are saying that my application is in limbo because of that, but honestly, I wouldn't know why else. I have the same travel and address history as my wife. My background check is already checked as completed. Looking forward to hearing your opinions.
I’m extremely familiar with the tax system , but your posting is so arrogant, and the icing on the cake “ Do I Sue ?”
You’re on your own

Reactions: Rahul Ram

irccsux

Mar 8, 2023
I’m extremely familiar with the tax system , but your posting is so arrogant, and the icing on the cake “ Do I Sue ?”
You’re on your own
Sure you are ;-) What's arrogant with my posting? The fact that CRA doesn't apply the money I send them to the tax I'm owing? The fact that they admitted by phone that they messed up and missed to apply the funds to my taxes? What exactly is arrogant? I'm really curious to know lol.

firstax

Dec 8, 2018
You sound so entitled lmao, go ahead and sue and see what happens. IRCC would gladly wait for the lawsuit to finish in 5 years and then tell you that your file needs more time. CRA and IRCC are basically organizations with very broad powers that can do as they please. Trust me you would not "win" in court. What happened to your taxes has no relation to your Citizenship application. And the issue with the taxes is just the computer systems may have not been "trained" to use credit to pay taxes. A phone call with CRA would easily solve this, and after your call, they told you they would work on it. You don't have to go full KAREN mode on the customer care agents who are just there to answer the phone.

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
You’re on your own
I kinda agree it seems to be arrogant with a feeling of entitlement. However, it must have been very frustrating to do everything and not get the oath invite. So I totally understand if he is mad at CRA/IRCC, as most of them don't know what they are doing, really.

Back to the topic. It is not uncommon for IRCC to invite partners on different days. For instance, I've done my oath ceremony on Feb 28th, my wife is still awaiting LPP.

My honest opinion would be, let your wife attend the ceremony and once yours is ready, you'll attend as well. The ceremony is about 30 minutes long online. My children were in school and didn't even attend.

Lastly, I don't think your tax owing will affect your application. Just be careful about the number of times your contact IRCC, the more mails or webform you send, the more issues you generate, the longer your application, except the webform is straightforward with a simple yes or no answer.

Btw, which office is processing your application?.

Ese2014

Mar 11, 2018
Calgary
App. Filed.......
20-07-2018
AOR Received.
20-07-2018
IELTS Request
24-03-2018
Med's Done....
13-07-2018
You’re on your own
Meanwhile, how do I contact you regarding taxes, I've got a couple of questions. I think you locked your profile, can't send you a private message.

irccsux

Mar 8, 2023
CRA and IRCC are basically organizations with very broad powers that can do as they please.
That is a VERY disturbing comment in my opinion. That's how gov't agencies supposedly are in China, Iran, Russia or [insert your choice of communist or dictator led country] - the exact countries many of the people here on this forum are trying to get away from. In a so called free country, shouldn't we, the people, have oversight over government agencies and be able to hold them accountable for their actions? Let me be clear, I don't agree with your statement that IRCC or CRA "can do as they please" because if that was the case, we would be in a world of trouble. However, just the fact that you (and probably many others) believe that is the case and don't speak up when they do something wrong, is wrong in itself. FYI, I know MANY people who sued IRCC and CRA and ended up winning. I don't think I have a case, my comment about suing them was more tongue in cheek to be honest. Having said that, no one should believe that the CRA, IRCC or any Canadian gov't agency is untouchable. They are not and they should not be.

2017CanadaHo!

Nov 18, 2016
Ontario
Category........
Other
i'll not judge you by terming your outburst or thought-process as entitled, etc. you surely have ALL right to be upset and think of conspiracies (fair or unfair) that could be delaying your file.

(just) because you are aware of some anomaly in taxes, you are correlating your delay with that. i think it would be justified in your mind when you think about just your case, but do look around - what i'm seeing is a certain percentage of applications of each month have crossed the finishing line, but not most. for instance (i could be wrong on nos.) there are 30% of July and of August last year who're citizens, there are also 70% of July who're waiting whilst 30% of August n then even 15 - 20% of September applicants who've become citizens. Like that 70% of July, there's a majority percentage of each month that's waiting. I could be wrong in trying to decipher the sequencing/prioritization IRCC is using but clearly they are picking up a few cases from each month so every month in the tracker has movement, but NO month with everyone who's completed the process (became a citizen or refused citizenship). they are clearly not going FIFO. if they were, and if you would have found others who joined the Q after you have completed the process, and your case is pending - then you could have thought there's something wrong with your file (and linking that with situations you're aware of). i'd say let CRA do its correction, and unfortunately, just wait thereafter. IRCC for a process as sensitive as granting someone full rights of a citizen, is surely entitled not to provide all details to applicants about reasons of delays/refusals. you've not mentioned your timeline except for December - which I assume is Dec'22. if that is the case, i feel you should give this more time as there are so many, SO MANY who are ahead of you in the line (chronologically) and waiting. am confident that all those thousands of files waiting don't have such extraneous factors working against them. it is plain n simple delay.

Reactions: irccsux

irccsux

Mar 8, 2023
I don't think there is any sort of conspiracy going on. I was just wondering if the CRA f*** up could have any implications on my citizenship application, and if so, how to best make IRCC aware of the fact that CRA f***** up and not me. However, it seems like the general consensus is that it does not have any implications on a citizenship application. Now, what I do think is that the IRCC staff is slow, lazy, inefficient and for the most part incompetent. That is based on my personal experience dealing with them but also based on the 20+ other cases I happen to know of. I consult entrepreneurs and business owners all over the world. Many of them end up immigrating to Canada or the U.S. while working with me so I hear their immigration stories. I can guarantee you, a LARGE number of IRCC employees would not stand a chance in the open market being employed by a for profit business. U.S. immigration is a pleasure to deal with compared to their Canadian counterpart, again based on several of my own dealings (I hold and have held several visas in the U.S.) and about 10 cases from clients. I don't care if it sounds "entitled" but there is no reason why one application is in the final stage and invited to the ceremony while the other isn't despite the fact that both applications were sent TOGETHER, passed the test the same day and basically have the exact same address and travel history. No reason at all. We're paying these people with our tax money and filing fees. They are providing us a service. Simple as that. And their service is bad. Unfortunately, they have a monopoly.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
I don't think there is any sort of conspiracy going on. I was just wondering if the CRA f*** up could have any implications on my citizenship application, and if so, how to best make IRCC aware of the fact that CRA f***** up and not me. However, it seems like the general consensus is that it does not have any implications on a citizenship application. Now, what I do think is that the IRCC staff is slow, lazy, inefficient and for the most part incompetent. That is based on my personal experience dealing with them but also based on the 20+ other cases I happen to know of. I consult entrepreneurs and business owners all over the world. Many of them end up immigrating to Canada or the U.S. while working with me so I hear their immigration stories. I can guarantee you, a LARGE number of IRCC employees would not stand a chance in the open market being employed by a for profit business. U.S. immigration is a pleasure to deal with compared to their Canadian counterpart, again based on several of my own dealings (I hold and have held several visas in the U.S.) and about 10 cases from clients. I don't care if it sounds "entitled" but there is no reason why one application is in the final stage and invited to the ceremony while the other isn't despite the fact that both applications were sent TOGETHER, passed the test the same day and basically have the exact same address and travel history. No reason at all. We're paying these people with our tax money and filing fees. They are providing us a service. Simple as that. And their service is bad. Unfortunately, they have a monopoly.
Both things can be true: IRCC may be a lazy and inefficient organization, and you may be a petulant and entitled individual. But that's all subjective conjecture. What you need to spend your energy on is setting the record straight and getting your application back on the right track. And I know the process can by frustrating but try to be patient. Meditation helps.

Good luck.

irccsux

Mar 8, 2023
Both things can be true: IRCC may be a lazy and inefficient organization, and you may be a petulant and entitled individual. But that's all subjective conjecture. What you need to spend your energy on is setting the record straight and getting your application back on the right track. And I know the process can by frustrating but try to be patient. Meditation helps.

Good luck.
Apparently there isn't anything I can do the set a record straight. I talked to a lawyer friend of mine and he confirmed that all IRCC cares about is 3 tax returns filed within the previous five years. Now, saying that IRCC being lazy and inefficient is a subjective conjecture is incorrect. It's rather objective when I say they are. Maybe they aren't lazy, inefficient and incompetent, but at the very least they are two of the three; there is no other explanation for the processing times we're seeing, all the blunders I or my clients have experienced and all the inconsistencies across the board when processing applications.