+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizen Application - do I list CPA online learning as education?

Flourpower

May 19, 2022
The CPA program in Canada offers the PREP course, which is a professional course equivalent to education but is not college credits. This program is mostly distance learning, but administered through each region's accounting body. My question is, should I include the time that I have been a CPA PREP online student in my citizenship application under education? It is very much a part-time effort and I was unemployed for some part of that, so I am just wondering if it's better to just leave out the course (as it is professional and not truly educational) and state that I was unemployed for that time?

Is it recommended that we provide letters of explanation (LOE) along with our applications to explain certain circumstances, and is this a case where that would apply? Or is that even worse, drawing attention to something not applicable and then getting a request for transcripts or more information and so on.

Appreciate any

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
The CPA program in Canada offers the PREP course, which is a professional course equivalent to education but is not college credits. This program is mostly distance learning, but administered through each region's accounting body. My question is, should I include the time that I have been a CPA PREP online student in my citizenship application under education? It is very much a part-time effort and I was unemployed for some part of that, so I am just wondering if it's better to just leave out the course (as it is professional and not truly educational) and state that I was unemployed for that time?

Is it recommended that we provide letters of explanation (LOE) along with our applications to explain certain circumstances, and is this a case where that would apply? Or is that even worse, drawing attention to something not applicable and then getting a request for transcripts or more information and so on.

Appreciate any
Being unemployed is neither a crime, nor does it take away from your residence obligations. It is a perfectly valid explanation that you were pursuing a professional qualification while unemployed. IMO, your status was unemployed and not student, which I understand applies to those enrolled in a recognized college or university.

Flourpower

May 19, 2022
Being unemployed is neither a crime, nor does it take away from your residence obligations. It is a perfectly valid explanation that you were pursuing a professional qualification while unemployed. IMO, your status was unemployed and not student, which I understand applies to those enrolled in a recognized college or university.
Thanks a lot for your feedback, I guess now my question now is whether I should list that CPA preparatory program under education or should I write about it in a LOE so as to avoid misrepresentation?

I have found that the organization has a DLI number (designated learning institution) and I was taking an online class or two every semester but it really is just part time and online so I am honestly confused. It is like you said, I can say I was unemployed no problem, but I don't want to omit anything they consider relevant- especially for misrepresentation. At the same time, I don't want to have to go get transcripts or other documentation in the future for a program I am not pursuing any more and delay my application over it.

raven101

Jan 27, 2024
Thanks a lot for your feedback, I guess now my question now is whether I should list that CPA preparatory program under education or should I write about it in a LOE so as to avoid misrepresentation?

I have found that the organization has a DLI number (designated learning institution) and I was taking an online class or two every semester but it really is just part time and online so I am honestly confused. It is like you said, I can say I was unemployed no problem, but I don't want to omit anything they consider relevant- especially for misrepresentation. At the same time, I don't want to have to go get transcripts or other documentation in the future for a program I am not pursuing any more and delay my application over it.
Hey, I have a similar issue. May I ask how you address this issue at the end of the day?