+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC sent my application to wrong address. Missed test.

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
CIC sent my test date for citizenship to the wrong address(wrong by one digit). My test date was supposed to be on October 27 but I didn't receive the letter until November 2(the day the person decided to come give it to me). I'm ALMOST sure I didn't put the wrong address in my application. I'm currently on vacation abroad and cannot call CIC.

1. Should I update my address on the website?
2. Do they send me another test date even if I don't contact them?
3. Will changing my address on the website allow them to send me the new test date to the new updated address at this point?

Any other tips or advice will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
success2016 said:
CIC sent my test date for citizenship to the wrong address(wrong by one digit). My test date was supposed to be on October 27 but I didn't receive the letter until November 2(the day the person decided to come give it to me). I'm ALMOST sure I didn't put the wrong address in my application. I'm currently on vacation abroad and cannot call CIC.

1. Should I update my address on the website?
2. Do they send me another test date even if I don't contact them?
3. Will changing my address on the website allow them to send me the new test date to the new updated address at this point?

Any other tips or advice will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
1. Update your address on your e-cas
2. Use the webform and send the explanation of what happened: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp
3. Use the letter, CIC has sent you, there would be a address of local office, send the letter addressing to that location and explain the details.

Usually cic reschedules the test if the person misses it.
Here is the link which contains the details:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=910&top=5

success2016

Jul 13, 2016
thecoolguysam said:
1. Update your address on your e-cas
2. Use the webform and send the explanation of what happened: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/contacts/web-form.asp
3. Use the letter, CIC has sent you, there would be a address of local office, send the letter addressing to that location and explain the details.

Usually cic reschedules the test if the person misses it.
Here is the link which contains the details:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=910&top=5
Thank you. I changed my address immediately but will that give enough time for them to send the next test date to the correct address before they send it to the old address again? And aren't I supposed to get the letter to my email as well? I did not receive anything in my email.

And since I'm on vacation I don't believe there would be a local office for me to send the letter to.

Rigly68

Apr 16, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
success2016 said:
And since I'm on vacation I don't believe there would be a local office for me to send the letter to.
What success2016 meant with local office was your processing office in Canada. This would be the address on your test invite and this is where you would send request for rescheduling/explanation for missing first test.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
success2016 said:
Thank you. I changed my address immediately but will that give enough time for them to send the next test date to the correct address before they send it to the old address again? And aren't I supposed to get the letter to my email as well? I did not receive anything in my email.

I think the address update takes few days to update on ecas. CIC usually does not reschedule the test immediately however timelines may vary. They can send the letter to either old/wrong address or new address. Keep an eye on both addresses,
Sometimes they email and sometimes they don't.
Also, I meant to say about local office is that the test invite letter will state about the address where you need to attend the test/interview. Send a explanation letter along with copy of the test invite letter to that local office address mentioned in the test invite letter stating that why you missed the test and request for rescheduling.
When you send the explanation letter and also in the webform, mention the details about correct address.

To be on safe side, keep monitoring your physical mailbox (old/wrong and new address), email and e-cas for any further updates. Request the person at the wrong address to monitor the mail for you and inform you immediately if he receives any letter from cic addressing you.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
success2016 said:
Is there a number I can call from abroad?
1-888-242-2100 doesn't work if you are outside Canada. Try 1-613-944-4000 (follow the options correctly for immigration dept). This should take you to CIC representatives.