+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC says we can't apply for Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP) Online?! Help!!!

Feb 14, 2017
Hi everyone,

A bit of background: I am on a Post Grad work permit (PGWP) and just submitted my express entry PR application under CEC last week. I received an Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) and need to apply for a bridging open work permit as my PGWP is expiring in a few days.

I was looking to apply online for my bridging open work permit and one of the questions on the 'eligibility questionnaire' asked 'Have you been told by IRCC office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada? I wasn't sure if an AOR counted as 'approved in principle' and I couldn't move ahead with the online application without answering 'yes', so I gave CIC a call. They told me that an AOR is not 'approved in principle' and I had to answer 'No' and that the only way I can apply for a bridging work permit is through the paper application!!

Is this true? Can you not submit an online application for BOWP? Anyone have any successful experiences with applying BOWP online recently? How did you get around that 'approved in principle' question?

Thanks in advance! I'm worried sick about this.

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks for your reply! So saying 'Yes' to that question won't disqualify me, right? CIC kept telling me my application will be refused if I answered 'Yes' to 'approved in principle'.

Is it better to apply online than paper? Should I apply to both, just in case? Thanks!

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bridging_permit said:
Thanks for your reply! So saying 'Yes' to that question won't disqualify me, right? CIC kept telling me my application will be refused if I answered 'Yes' to 'approved in principle'.

Is it better to apply online than paper? Should I apply to both, just in case? Thanks!
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/bridging-open-work-permit-bowp-under-express-entry-connect-here-t272029.0.html

You're free to check this thread of BOWP.

If you're talking about a CIC call centre individual... well they are completely useless.

Feb 14, 2017
Thank you @DelPiero07! I'm checking out the link!

I also had another question about the online application that you may be able to help me with. Under 'optional documents', I am seeing a IMM5257: Schedule 1 Application for Temporary Residence'. What exactly is this form for? Is it supposed to show up as part of the bridging open work permit application?

Thanks for all your help!!

kk1988

Star Member
Nov 16, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
you are qualify for bowp.
Even if you apply now,
the bridge open work permit will only issue to you when your EE application R10 CHECK PASSED.
So, the bowp will be held until you pass r10 check. prob 3 month later usually,

ZiyodaSh

Sep 28, 2017
Hi guys,
I'm a little confused about the whole AOR thing. I will be submitting my docs for FSWP end of July and my post grad work permit expires mid-August. From what I'm reading so far is that you don't receive AOR up until couple of weeks or even months? So there's no way for me to apply for bridging work permit?
Please advise

jessoabr

Star Member
May 14, 2018
Thank you @DelPiero07! I'm checking out the link!

I also had another question about the online application that you may be able to help me with. Under 'optional documents', I am seeing a IMM5257: Schedule 1 Application for Temporary Residence'. What exactly is this form for? Is it supposed to show up as part of the bridging open work permit application?

Thanks for all your help!!
Hello, I’m in the same situation as yours. Would you please tell how was your application? Did u get the work permit extended without any rejections?

Mandy bassi

Sep 13, 2018
Hi everyone,

A bit of background: I am on a Post Grad work permit (PGWP) and just submitted my express entry PR application under CEC last week. I received an Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) and need to apply for a bridging open work permit as my PGWP is expiring in a few days.

I was looking to apply online for my bridging open work permit and one of the questions on the 'eligibility questionnaire' asked 'Have you been told by IRCC office that you are approved in principle for permanent residence in Canada? I wasn't sure if an AOR counted as 'approved in principle' and I couldn't move ahead with the online application without answering 'yes', so I gave CIC a call. They told me that an AOR is not 'approved in principle' and I had to answer 'No' and that the only way I can apply for a bridging work permit is through the paper application!!

Is this true? Can you not submit an online application for BOWP? Anyone have any successful experiences with applying BOWP online recently? How did you get around that 'approved in principle' question?

Thanks in advance! I'm worried sick about this.
Hiii

I applied for BWOP year than i was not sure abt this question thn i asnwerd it no
But now am applied second second time bcz thn i say yes for this ans