+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Choosing my NOC

Sep 2, 2016
Hi,

I have changed a few jobs in the past. I understand that if there are too many shifts in the NOC then my chances of ETA are lower - however most of what I have done is interconnected and related with slight changes. My question here is how do I choose the NOC? Some of my designation falls under Skill 0(Marketing) and a few under Skill A (Consulting).
Does it matter one way or the other between Skill Level 0 and Skill Level A/B?

If anybody can give me specific NOC codes that I can review, that will be really helpful.

Details :
Education - MBA in Marketing, B.Com in Finance.
Designation 1 : Marketing Analyst
Designation 3 : Marketing Manager
Designation 2 : Product Marketing Manager

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2016
I am in the process of researching. The titles all look confusing to me, hence the question. If you can even tell me the difference between Skill Level 0 and Skill Level A/B, I'll be happy.

Thank you for the links.

Stanlee

VIP Member
Jan 29, 2016
icewinenmaples said:
Hi,

I have changed a few jobs in the past. I understand that if there are too many shifts in the NOC then my chances of ETA are lower - however most of what I have done is interconnected and related with slight changes. My question here is how do I choose the NOC? Some of my designation falls under Skill 0(Marketing) and a few under Skill A (Consulting).
Does it matter one way or the other between Skill Level 0 and Skill Level A/B?

If anybody can give me specific NOC codes that I can review, that will be really helpful.

Details :
Education - MBA in Marketing, B.Com in Finance.
Designation 1 : Marketing Analyst
Designation 3 : Marketing Manager
Designation 2 : Product Marketing Manager

Thanks!
While selecting the NOC, the duties and responsibilities mentioned in the NOC should be a close match with the actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you at the respective job. You need not match the duties and responsibilities word by word, but the idea is to have the closest match in terms of the spirit of the duties and responsibilities (at least 60%-70% match).

Also, NOC should be selected on the basis of the match of actual duties and responsibilities carried out by you rather than the designation match in the NOC list. If you are not sure of your NOC, write to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca with your job title, duties and responsibilities and educational qualification, they will help you find the closest fit.

Sep 2, 2016
Thank you dan_and - I was just so boggled by the whole thing I forgot about Google :-X

Thank you for the clarification Stanlee!

Sep 2, 2016
Okay I have the best possible NOC's selected. My career timeline looks like this :

Bachelor Degree Completed May 2007 -> Full time employment NOC 1431 Jul 2007 - Jul 2008(13 Months)

*Break for full time Masters Degree* -> Jul 2008 - Mar 2010

Full time Employment NOC 4163 -> Dec 2009 - May 2011 and Sep 2011 - Sep 2012 (31 Months)

Full time Employment NOC 4011 -> Oct 2012 - Sep 2013 (12 Months)

*Break* Unemployed Oct 2013 - May 2014 (8 Months)

Most recent : Full time Continuous Employment NOC 0601 - Jun 2014 - Till Date{Sep 2016} will continue in this job till the application comes through (Approx 30 Months)

I am positive I can get experience letters for all the jobs. How badly will my score be affected with so many changes in NOC and Break in career?