+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

China birth certificate (pre-1996)

May 12, 2017
I am slightly confused on how to proceed with my spouse's application regarding the birth certificate.

The document checklist states:
"Birth certificates or baptismal certificates for yourself and all family members"

The country-specific requirements for China states:
"Persons born in the People’s Republic of China since 1996 must submit a notarized copy of the original Medical Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. (If this is not available, you must submit an explanation as to why this document cannot be submitted.)"

My wife is a Chinese citizen born before 1996 and does not have a birth certificate. As such, is she not required to submit a birth certificate? Do I leave the relevant box in the document checklist un-checked? If left un-checked, will it be automatically rejected, or do they know that it's because she was born prior to 1996 and thus no such birth certificate exists?

Or, do we have to submit an explanation as to why this document cannot be submitted? My view is that provision of such a letter is only required for those born after 1996 who do not have a birth certificate, but I am completely open to being convinced otherwise.

We will be applying inland in a few months.

Thank you in advance.

anakinchan

Dec 14, 2014
Hi, did you figure it out? I have the exact same problem with my wife`s application. I left the block unchecked, and I forgot to attach a explanation. The CIC returned her application.

chinesecanadian87

Star Member
Jan 30, 2017
I am slightly confused on how to proceed with my spouse's application regarding the birth certificate.

"Birth certificates or baptismal certificates for yourself and all family members"

"Persons born in the People’s Republic of China since 1996 must submit a notarized copy of the original Medical Certificate of Birth issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. (If this is not available, you must submit an explanation as to why this document cannot be submitted.)"

My wife is a Chinese citizen born before 1996 and does not have a birth certificate. As such, is she not required to submit a birth certificate? Do I leave the relevant box in the document checklist un-checked? If left un-checked, will it be automatically rejected, or do they know that it's because she was born prior to 1996 and thus no such birth certificate exists?

Or, do we have to submit an explanation as to why this document cannot be submitted? My view is that provision of such a letter is only required for those born after 1996 who do not have a birth certificate, but I am completely open to being convinced otherwise.

Thank you in advance.
My common law spouse was born prior to 1996 and we got a copy of her birth certificate from China.

khrusher

Mar 4, 2012
Hi, did you figure it out? I have the exact same problem with my wife`s application. I left the block unchecked, and I forgot to attach a explanation. The CIC returned her application.
How is it going for you? Any advice on how to proceed? I'm in the same situation with my wife who is unable to get a birth certificate from China. Please let me know what you did.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
How is it going for you? Any advice on how to proceed? I'm in the same situation with my wife who is unable to get a birth certificate from China. Please let me know what you did.
If a Chinese Citizen was born prior to year of 1996, he/she doesn't need to submit the birth certificate with the application, but you do need to include a very simple explanation letter to specifically state that the applicant was born before year of 1996 or the date before the Chinese government started issue the birth certificate that required in the Country Specific Documents.

harvey70

Feb 13, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
HKVO
using your HUKOU and ID to get a notarized birth certificate from public notary

Thank you in advance.

harvey70

Feb 13, 2018
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
HKVO
using your hokou and ID to get the notarized birth certificate from public notary

Reactions: LeskeyL

khrusher

Mar 4, 2012
That is how I interpreted it which is why I didn't bother to send an explanation but my application was returned after two months stating that I need to submit the birth certificate.
I contacted the CIC call center and they told me that I should quote that instruction and provide a letter of explanation and re-submit my application which is what I'm doing now.

Reactions: spacebound

dtwchen

Mar 15, 2018
My husband is Chinese, what we did is we submitted a birth certificate issued by the local notary public. Our application was accepted by CIC without any problem.

Reactions: Lc4life

LeskeyL

Oct 17, 2018

Thank you in advance.
Could you please let us know what you and your spouse have come up with? It would help us greatly!!! Thanks

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Could you please let us know what you and your spouse have come up with? It would help us greatly!!! Thanks
If a Chinese Citizen was born prior to the year of 1996, he/she doesn't need to submit the birth certificate with the application, but you do need to include a very simple explanation letter to specifically state that the applicant was born before the year of 1996 or the date before the Chinese government started issue the birth certificate that required in the Country Specific Documents.

That is what I did, and my case was accepted and approved. Again, Chinese Citizen, who was born prior to the year of 1996, doesn't have the required medical birth certificate that issued by the Ministry of Health of the People's Republic of China. It wasn't even existed prior to the year of 1996.

Reactions: spacebound

ShuaiWang

Nov 11, 2018

Thank you in advance.
Hi, could you please let me know your progress of this issue?

Thanks.