+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child visa renew - Help

dtresinari

Mar 1, 2015
Good morning to you all,

I am currently on a PGWP (expires Feb. 2024) and my daughter (17y) is on a student visa expiring April 2021. She will graduate from high-school in September but I am not sure we can afford a college to keep her on a student visa.

Should I apply for a student visa renew for her until September 2021? What to do after, what are her options to stay here?

Thank you in advance for any assistance given.

All the best,

Daniel

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Once she graduates high school, she needs to apply to colleges or universities, pay international fees and then apply for a study permit. She is not eligible for a work permit. She can switch to visitor status but can’t work or study. Right now extend her student visa so she can graduate high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: dtresinari

dtresinari

Mar 1, 2015
Once she graduates high school, she needs to apply to colleges or universities, pay international fees and then apply for a study permit. She is not eligible for a work permit. She can switch to visitor status but can’t work or study. Right now extend her student visa so she can graduate high school.
Thank you, that means that I would have to get two study visas for her this year, correct?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would suggest applying for the study permit extension until she graduates so June/July 2021. Would include proof of when high school exams end. Her permit is expiring relatively soon so there isn't enough time to get admission to a college/university and it sounds like you don't have the funds to pay for international tuition. You will have to make some decisions since it is unlikely she can remain in Canada as a visitor indefinitely. Perhaps getting a job or attending school in your home country is possible. Would suggest you apply for the extension asap.

Reactions: dtresinari

dtresinari

Mar 1, 2015
Would suggest applying for the study permit extension until she graduates so June/July 2021. Would include proof of when high school exams end. Her permit is expiring relatively soon so there isn't enough time to get admission to a college/university and it sounds like you don't have the funds to pay for international tuition. You will have to make some decisions since it is unlikely she can remain in Canada as a visitor indefinitely. Perhaps getting a job or attending school in your home country is possible. Would suggest you apply for the extension asap.
Thank you, I will get her extension for now and see what the next step will be.