+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child tax benefits help

Scorpio1881

Dec 23, 2016
Hi all
I am a new immigrant landed in Canada in September 2016 with my spouse and kid. After landing I applied for child tax benefits and I started receiving the payments in November. Now due to some urgency, we have to go back to our home country in Feb 2017 to wind up all the things over there and then come back to Canada in March 2018. I would like to ask that when I inform CRA about this visit and they stop my child benefits. Then after we return to Canada next year, can we reapply for these benefits again and how much time it will take to restart. What things need to be kept in mind before leaving. Further I want to ask can we fill our 1st tax return when we will be outside Canada. Please guide us. Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will have to contact the International tax office and phone their toll-free number.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
Scorpio1881 said:
Hi all
I am a new immigrant landed in Canada in September 2016 with my spouse and kid. After landing I applied for child tax benefits and I started receiving the payments in November. Now due to some urgency, we have to go back to our home country in Feb 2017 to wind up all the things over there and then come back to Canada in March 2018. I would like to ask that when I inform CRA about this visit and they stop my child benefits. Then after we return to Canada next year, can we reapply for these benefits again and how much time it will take to restart. What things need to be kept in mind before leaving. Further I want to ask can we fill our 1st tax return when we will be outside Canada. Please guide us. Thanks
Yes, you must contact CRA before leaving and they will stop your benefit payments. Once you return, you are eligible to receive them again. you may not receive the payment right away, but they will apply it retroactively so that your first payment will include the time since you returned to Canada.

You can complete your first tax return from overseas, but it must be a paper filing so someone will have to file it on your behalf in Canada.

Scorpio1881

Dec 23, 2016
Thanks

I will inform CRA.

Just need to confirm is there any chance that they don't start our child benefits since we will be non resident for whole 2017year..because we will have zero income in Canada for 2017?

Further if I fill the tax returns after I come back to canada, is it okay or not?

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
They will still ask for your out of Canada income for that year (in which you were not residing in Canada) as well as prior ones.

Regarding filing after coming back to Canada, it depends upon when. If you are here by March 2018 while tax filing deadline for 2017 will be around april 30, 2018, you should be good.

Even if people dont file tax on time and say file 5 months latter, the only penalty is that IF THERE was tax payment due on them, CRA would charge interest on that. If there was nothing due on them and they have a 0 balance return or CRA is due to refund them money, then it only is delayed depending upon when you filed. There is no other penalty.

About questioning your child benefit, they might ask you for further proof of your as well as your child's status in Canada. That they can do even when you are living here.

I used to live in a different province for several years and was receiving child benefits. After i moved to a different one, we received instructions to provide proof of children being here for a specified timeline like day care / school attendance, home lease etc. And its fine once those details are provided. At max they would ask you the same.

Scorpio1881

Dec 23, 2016
Thanks fkl for reply.

My only concern is that when we will be back after one year or so, will CRA starts my Child benifits from that date? Or will they creat any issue? I dnt want that after one year they say that my Child is not éligible.

Please give ur suggestions...

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Scorpio1881 said:
Thanks fkl for reply.

My only concern is that when we will be back after one year or so, will CRA starts my Child benifits from that date? Or will they creat any issue? I dnt want that after one year they say that my Child is not éligible.

Please give ur suggestions...
There are rules around this and CRA can't / won't just make up things on their own. As long as you can prove WHEN you reentered Canada with the intent of settling here and got your children admitted to schools / day care etc. CRA will start it from that date.

Some times it might be a bit harder if they ask for proof and you can't provide one except landing documents (that your child entered Canada on those dates) but isn't going to any day care / preschool etc. In that case, save whatever info you can e.g. some gym membership, a doctor's visit with your child etc. and CRA would accept that.

Scorpio1881

Dec 23, 2016
Thanks fkl for reply.

I want To discuss my query with you in detail. I am new immigrant landed in canada in october 2016 with my spouse and Child. After landing i applied for Child Tax benifits. I got my Child benifits from november. We are going back to our home country in feb 2017 for one year. I will inform CRA so that they can hold our benifits till we renter canada...Please guide us what things de should do before leaving and after returning back to Canada.

I just want to be sûre that we are following the rules so that CRA restart my Child benifits once we ré-enter canada in 2018.

Please guide