+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child open study permit of PGWP holder?

hellovn

Jul 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I am a full-time student now with my family and 2 kids. My wife is on an open work permit and my children are on open study permits. After finishing my program and get my PGWP, I know I need a full-time job in Noc A, B or O so that my wife can extend her open work permit. My question is:

If I do not have a full-time job after I finish my studies, can my children extend their open study permit?

Thanks,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi
Hi All,

I am a full-time student now with my family and 2 kids. My wife is on an open work permit and my children are on open study permits. After finishing my program and get my PGWP, I know I need a full-time job in Noc A, B or O so that my wife can extend her open work permit. My question is:

If I do not have a full-time job after I finish my studies, can my children extend their open study permit?

Thanks,
1. Yes they can.

hellovn

Jul 2, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Great. Thanks PMM. I have read many articles in CIC website and it seems that if I do not have a full time job in NOC A, B or O, my wife could not apply for an open work permit but my children will be. That seems to be strange as only my wife has to leave the country or change her status to visitor, while the rest of her family can stay in Canada.

P/S: I am asking for my brother as I am already a Canadian :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Great. Thanks PMM. I have read many articles in CIC website and it seems that if I do not have a full time job in NOC A, B or O, my wife could not apply for an open work permit but my children will be. That seems to be strange as only my wife has to leave the country or change her status to visitor, while the rest of her family can stay in Canada.

P/S: I am asking for my brother as I am already a Canadian :)
A spousal work permit is a far different situation than the study permit of a dependent child.

Your wife doesn't need to leave Canada. If you don't have a skilled job, she can apply online to change her status to visitor before her OWP expires.