+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Citizenship

Jana92

May 27, 2019
I need to know the privileges of giving birth in Canada to a child of a Canadian parent (not born in Canada) VS. giving birth to the same child outside Canada. In both cases the child acquires citizenship, but I need to know the differences in the privileges the child will have during his life in each case and whether it is worth it to have birth in Canada rather than abroad or its the same.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
There are no differences between a citizen born abroad or a citizen born in Canada.

The child born abroad will need to apply for a certificate of Canadian citizenship. It won't be automatic.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Is the parent not born in Canada naturalized ? If not, the kid is not canadian if born outside Canada.
If the kid will be canadian, the only difference will be that the kid's children will not be canadian if he was born outside the country and have kids outside the country too.

Jana92

May 27, 2019
What do you mean by naturalized?
That parent when he was under 18 has acquired it automatically from his father once the father has become Canadian by naturalization

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What do you mean by naturalized?
That parent when he was under 18 has acquired it automatically from his father once the father has become Canadian by naturalization
You aren't providing enough information. Was this person born in Canada, naturalized in Canada or born abroad to a Canadian parent?

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
If the parent was born before his/her father was naturalized, then it's safe to say that the parent is not a citizen by descent; and if this parent "acquired it automatically...once the father has become Canadian by naturalization", then it's safe to say that this parent is not a citizen by birth. So probably the parent was naturalized at the same time with his/her father.

In conjunction with Seym's response, if the child is born in Canada, then his/her children will be Canadian citizens by descent if they are born outside of Canada (as the first generation born abroad). This would be the child's only 'privilege' for being born in Canada.

If the child is born outside of Canada (i.e. first generation born abroad), then his/her children will not be Canadian citizens if they are also born outside of Canada (as the second generation born abroad) because of the first generation limit enacted in the current Citizenship Act.

mega_option101

Feb 5, 2016
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2016
Nomination.....
CSQ: 22-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
File Transfer...
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
14-01-2016
Passport Req..
25-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-06-2016
I need to know the privileges of giving birth in Canada to a child of a Canadian parent (not born in Canada) VS. giving birth to the same child outside Canada. In both cases the child acquires citizenship, but I need to know the differences in the privileges the child will have during his life in each case and whether it is worth it to have birth in Canada rather than abroad or its the same.
You need to give us more information on the Canadian parent who was not born in Canada.

For instance, I am a Canadian (not born in Canada), and my daughter was born abroad (Poland). I was not able to pass my Canadian Citizenship to her, as she is considered to be second generation born abroad; however, the fact that I was born abroad while my father was serving in the Canadian Armed Forces meant that the first generation cut-off rule applied (due to Bill C-24).

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
For instance, I am a Canadian (not born in Canada), and my daughter was born abroad (Poland). I was not able to pass my Canadian Citizenship to her, as she is considered to be second generation born abroad; however, the fact that I was born abroad while my father was serving in the Canadian Armed Forces meant that the first generation cut-off rule applied (due to Bill C-24).
Was that IRCC's response when you applied for your daughter's proof of citizenship? Under 3(5)(b), a person is exempt from the first generation limit if their parent was born while their parent (i.e. applicant's grandparent) was employed as a Crown servant or in the Canadian Armed Forces; seems like your daughter fits this description if you were born while your father was serving, and she should be eligible for citizenship by descent as a second generation.

mega_option101

Feb 5, 2016
Gatineau, Québec, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-02-2016
Nomination.....
CSQ: 22-04-2016
AOR Received.
17-03-2016
File Transfer...
21-03-2016
Med's Done....
14-01-2016
Passport Req..
25-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2016
LANDED..........
02-06-2016
Was that IRCC's response when you applied for your daughter's proof of citizenship? Under 3(5)(b), a person is exempt from the first generation limit if their parent was born while their parent (i.e. applicant's grandparent) was employed as a Crown servant or in the Canadian Armed Forces; seems like your daughter fits this description if you were born while your father was serving, and she should be eligible for citizenship by descent as a second generation.
That's exactly correct! I needed to provide proof of his service coinciding with my date of birth. She was granted citizenship afterwards.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017
That's exactly correct! I needed to provide proof of his service coinciding with my date of birth. She was granted citizenship afterwards.
That is not what you wrote on your previous post. You basically said that even though your father served while you were born, your daughter was still not eligible as a second generation because of bill C-24. On a sidenote, actually it's bill C-37 that became the 2009 Act that introduced the first generation limit and the exemptions to it, not C-24.