+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to a Canadian Citizen outside Canada

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
It can be Andrei. Best would be whilst you are in Moscow to go to the embassy (at starokonushniy) and ask them directly.

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
Andrei13 said:
Also she is not Canadian .... she has a work permit for one year and a postodtoral offer starting 1st of March, so we are not both Canadians.
It should not be a problem as it not about your partner's status but your to be born child. The latter gets the right for citizenship through either of the parents, in this case through youself.

Andrei13

Oct 15, 2013
Yes, I will go to the embassy but I am wondering if somebody will help me there. I call them today and they said to send them and email as they do not send answers in person or by telephone. My girlfriend already emailed them and she obtained an answer that is very vague and does not give any extra info for this case. I also send them a more detailed one, so I am waiting to see :)

Best
Andrei

RussCan

Star Member
Aug 16, 2013
This is what it is says on the CIC web site under the section: You may already be a citizen if...

•you were born outside Canada after April 17, 2009, but one parent was born in Canada or naturalized in Canada.

So your baby will be born as a Canadian citizen through the provision above. And as long as the birth certificate will have you as his listed farther you have nothing to worry about Andrei.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you want to try for the TRV, you can put your name on the birth certificate but the mother should apply for the TRV for the baby as accompanying her for her 1 year trip to Canada without mentioning anything else. The embassy doesn't really have to know about your status at that point. If the embassy knows that you are Canadian, they could possibly deny the TRV based on that the baby is already a citizen and can not be granted a TRV.

Andrei13

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks Leon,

this is what I am afraid the most, so you think I should go for the temporary passport to avoid any unpleasant results?
Andrei

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Andrei13 said:
Thanks Leon,

this is what I am afraid the most, so you think I should go for the temporary passport to avoid any unpleasant results?
Andrei
It's up to you. If she applies for a TRV for the baby, it would be a faster way for the baby to come to Canada and you can apply for the citizenship certificate from inside Canada which is faster than through the embassy.

Or you could right off the bat apply for a citizenship certificate through the embassy, show proof of urgent travel and apply for a temporary passport.

Andrei13

Oct 15, 2013
Yes I understand all these Leon, thanks a lot again, The only reason that I am a bit afraid is in the case that she apply for TRV practically we do not declare that the baby is Canadian, and this may be an offense if they find out. I pretty sure that they will ask who is the father and in fact the father may have to give his consent that the baby travels away, i guess this is international law. So most probable they will find out, and then they may refuse her visa? Not sure... On the other hand the other procedure seems also harder as we have to prove that we are in a hurry. I read the application form for the temporary passport and one thing that you have to complete there is a proof of citizenship for the baby, and we will not have one. I understand that we may use the fact that we apply for this proof from Russia, but we will not have the actual proof. So not sure hot to deal with this. I guess I will go to the embassy when I will be there and I will try to find out more. But they may not be very helpful :(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Andrei13 said:
I read the application form for the temporary passport and one thing that you have to complete there is a proof of citizenship for the baby, and we will not have one.
If you already had a citizenship certificate for the baby, you would apply for a normal passport, not a temporary one so everybody applying for a temporary passport would be doing it because they don't have a citizenship certificate for the baby yet. I think the main thing is proving that you have applied for the citizenship certificate for the baby (you will do that at the embassy too so they will know that you did), proving that you have citizenship (you will do that for the application for the citizenship certificate anyway), possibly prove that it is your child if they ask (DNA test but only if they ask) and prove that you have an urgent need of travel (your gf visa and flight tickets).

After that, it depends on the processing time of the embassy. Some embassies aren't very fast but there is not much you can do about that.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
Hi there,

Canadian citizen here, first generation born outside Canada. I sponsored my wife and second-generation-born-outside-Canada kids to be PRs and live in Canada, and they have now landed and we're all settled. After landing I applied for Canadian citizenship for the kids. With the minor applications all being processed in Sydney, I'm wondering whether the processing time for minor applications is any different from the general citizenship application processing time that's posted on CIC's website (now 25 months). Is there a spreadsheet for minor applications, or just the general citizenship application spreadsheets?
Thanks!

IvanP

astro

Oct 30, 2013
Hi,

I am a canadian Citizen and my Wife and three kids (all under 18 yrs) are also Canadian Citizens from last 8-9 years. Since 2007 we are living outside canada as my kids are doing their schooling at their grandparent's place. Me and my wife are also accompanying them. We are paying Income tax in canada every year and also visiting Canada every year for some time. Now My question is When we come to canada Are we eligible for Child Tax benefits for all these year spent outside canada?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

astro said:
Hi,

I am a canadian Citizen and my Wife and three kids (all under 18 yrs) are also Canadian Citizens from last 8-9 years. Since 2007 we are living outside canada as my kids are doing their schooling at their grandparent's place. Me and my wife are also accompanying them. We are paying Income tax in canada every year and also visiting Canada every year for some time. Now My question is When we come to canada Are we eligible for Child Tax benefits for all these year spent outside canada?
No. You and the children have to reside in Canada to claim CCTB. I hope you haven't been claiming them.

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
astro said:
Hi,

Just curious - what's the reason you have been paying income tax in Canada when you are not a Canadian resident? If you were deemed a resident for tax purposes, it would seem like you ought to be deemed a resident for child tax benefits as well. And if you weren't deemed a resident, why were you paying Canadian tax?