+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside of Canada while sponsorship of wife in progress

MichelTh

Sep 11, 2024
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your advice. I’m a naturalized Canadian citizen living in Quebec. I sponsored my wife back in November 2023 and the application is still ongoing. She is currently living in Rwanda. She is now pregnant and I’m wondering if I will need to add the child to the application since the child can get his Canadian birth certificate after birth ? If I add the baby to the application, with the current delays, I fear it will further prolong the process.

Thanks again for your input.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your advice. I’m a naturalized Canadian citizen living in Quebec. I sponsored my wife back in November 2023 and the application is still ongoing. She is currently living in Rwanda. She is now pregnant and I’m wondering if I will need to add the child to the application since the child can get his Canadian birth certificate after birth ? If I add the baby to the application, with the current delays, I fear it will further prolong the process.

Your child will need to obtain proof of citizenship which also is a lengthy process. Given the long processing times for sponsorship in Quebec you can likely process both of them at the same time.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Apply for certificate of citizenship AND contact embassy - keeping a copy of the application for certificate of citizenship - to apply for a passport for the child. They will issue passport (probably temporary) based on parentage/presumed citizenship. This won't take so long as to be an issue, given your application is Quebec.

Note, you don't need to add the child to the sponsorship app, but you should advise IRCC of the birth and that the child is a citizen i.e. does not need to be added to the app.

Reactions: YVR123 and canuck78