+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside of Canada before I become Canadian Citizen

iodinedr012

May 21, 2014
Hi,
My son was born outside of Canada in 1998 before I become a Canadian Citizen. I became a Canadian Citizen at the early 2000. However, I didn't do anything to get my son the citizenship. I also declared non-resident citizenship and spent the last 14 years in the other country.
According to the CIC website, my son is not qualified to obtain the citizenship under the new law. Now I am thinking about moving back to Canada.
What can I do to get my son back the citizenship?
By the way, I also want to know if I can do it while both of us are outside of Canada or my son himself alone in Canada with a legal guardian?

It will be great if someone can help.
Thanks,

Swede

Aug 18, 2009
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, England
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009-10-27
File Transfer...
2009-11-12
Med's Done....
2009-08-11
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
2010-01-22
VISA ISSUED...
2010-01-20
LANDED..........
2010-03-05
iodinedr012 said:
Hi,
My son was born outside of Canada in 1998 before I become a Canadian Citizen. I became a Canadian Citizen at the early 2000. However, I didn't do anything to get my son the citizenship. I also declared non-resident citizenship and spent the last 14 years in the other country.
According to the CIC website, my son is not qualified to obtain the citizenship under the new law. Now I am thinking about moving back to Canada.
What can I do to get my son back the citizenship?
By the way, I also want to know if I can do it while both of us are outside of Canada or my son himself alone in Canada with a legal guardian?

It will be great if someone can help.
Thanks,
Since your son is still minor, you can sponsor him for permanent residency. Once he has been in Canada for three (or four) years he can apply for citizenship.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Minors do not need to meet the 3 out of 4 years residency requirement so apply once PR obtained.

iodinedr012

May 21, 2014
Msafiri said:
Minors do not need to meet the 3 out of 4 years residency requirement so apply once PR obtained.
Swede said:
Since your son is still minor, you can sponsor him for permanent residency. Once he has been in Canada for three (or four) years he can apply for citizenship.
Thanks guys.
So, I need to go through the family sponsorship channel to get my son a Permanent resident.
However, I declared non-resident years ago. Do I have to demonstrate CIC that I will live in Canada after my son becomes PR?
My wife and daughter are not citizen of Canada yet. I am not planning to move back to Canada in the next couple year. My son is 16 now, and he want to study in Canada. That's why he is going to Canada first.