+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Checklist and interpreting and using a translator for official documents

ROCIOLIVELY

Jul 26, 2024
Hello, I have this doubt about interpreting the checklist:

"If your documents are not in English or French, include a notarized (certified) translation with a certified copy of the original document, or an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada)."

Question 1:

"... include a notarized (certified) translation with a certified copy of the original document...".

Does this mean that I should bring a photocopy of the original document and have it certified by a notary? Does this mean that I should take it to a professional translator and have them stamp it?

Question 2:

"... or an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada)."

Here it means that if the translation has no stamps, it is a simple Word document and it was done by an ordinary person, who is not a professional or does not belong to the Canadian Translators' Organization. Here, only a sworn statement stating that the translation was done would be necessary? Thank you very much for clarifying my doubts.

Thank you very much for your help

Rocío Lively

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello, I have this doubt about interpreting the checklist:

"If your documents are not in English or French, include a notarized (certified) translation with a certified copy of the original document, or an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada)."

Question 1:

"... include a notarized (certified) translation with a certified copy of the original document...".

Does this mean that I should bring a photocopy of the original document and have it certified by a notary? Does this mean that I should take it to a professional translator and have them stamp it?

Question 2:

"... or an affidavit from the person who completed the translation (if the translation is not provided by a member in good standing of a provincial or territorial organization of translators and interpreters in Canada)."

Here it means that if the translation has no stamps, it is a simple Word document and it was done by an ordinary person, who is not a professional or does not belong to the Canadian Translators' Organization. Here, only a sworn statement stating that the translation was done would be necessary? Thank you very much for clarifying my doubts.

Thank you very much for your help

Rocío Lively
Some notaries provide translation services.

Reactions: armoured

Jim Alamia

Aug 7, 2024
Hi Rocío,

For Question 1: Yes, you should include a certified photocopy of the original document, meaning it needs to be notarized. The translation itself should also be certified by a professional translator.

For Question 2: If the translation is done by someone who isn't a certified translator in Canada, then yes, an affidavit from that person confirming they completed the translation would be required.

I hope this clears things up!

Best,

Jim Alamia

Reactions: armoured