+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

changing university

danishali

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
Guys I sent my passport back on the 23rd of Nov immediately after my medical. I have a question.

I got admission from concordia university. I applied for my visa on it. went for my medical and later submitted my passport back. Now I have received admission from another university UWO. I now wish to go to UWO. Is it possible that I tell the immigration officer that I am gogin to attend concordia uni. Once he lets me through the customs I donot go to concordia instead I join UWO immediately. Is this a possibility or is it mandatory that I have to attend my first semester at concordia before making the switch.

Your opinion shall be appreciated.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should read this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/study.asp#choose

Note:

When you applied you submitted a letter of acceptance.

Letter of acceptance

You must include the original letter of acceptance you received from the educational institution you plan to attend. This is to prove that you have been accepted.

Obtaining your study permit

When you arrive in Canada, you will be met by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency.

You will need to show the officer:

your letter of introduction from the visa office;
your passport or other valid travel documents;
the letter of acceptance from the school you will be attending;
proof of funds documents; and
your temporary resident visa, if required.
If you meet all the necessary conditions, the officer will give you a study permit.

The page also states:

Entering Canada — The basic requirements

Everyone must meet basic requirements to come to Canada. For example, you must not pose a threat to the health, safety or security of Canada. any record of criminal activity could prevent you from being allowed to come to Canada. you also must not provide false information or fraudulent documentation, or withhold information that could be related to your application.

I think you need to let them know. But you could gamble.....

jhita

Aug 27, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Chandigarh
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12th Nov.
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
25th Nov.
LANDED..........
18th Dec.
No need to tell the immigration officer, you can immediately join the UWO once you are there, no compulsion to attend first semester at Concordia.
Just wait till you get your visa. Once you are there study in whichever course or university you like.
Reference from FAQ cic.gc.in :-
I am already in Canada and have a valid study permit. I would like to change my school or program of studies. What do I need to do to modify my study permit?
.....However, if you are enrolled in a post-secondary program (doing studies after the high school level), you may change your school, level, program and field of studies without applying for a new study permit. You don’t need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What I was pointing out is, when entering Canada you cannot misrepresent.
See the section - Entering Canada — The basic requirements.

danishali

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
I am not mis representing..I have the offical letter for admission from concordia...I just dont want my case to get complicated.

Seniors please give your opinion

shahzad2002

Oct 23, 2010
Scarborough, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2 May 2015
Doc's Request.
I hope not
Nomination.....
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
File Transfer...
Waiting
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Baloo said:
You should read this:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/study.asp#choose

Note:

When you applied you submitted a letter of acceptance.

Letter of acceptance

You must include the original letter of acceptance you received from the educational institution you plan to attend. This is to prove that you have been accepted.

Obtaining your study permit

When you arrive in Canada, you will be met by an officer from the Canada Border Services Agency.

You will need to show the officer:

your letter of introduction from the visa office;
your passport or other valid travel documents;
the letter of acceptance from the school you will be attending;
proof of funds documents; and
your temporary resident visa, if required.
If you meet all the necessary conditions, the officer will give you a study permit.

The page also states:

Entering Canada — The basic requirements

Everyone must meet basic requirements to come to Canada. For example, you must not pose a threat to the health, safety or security of Canada. any record of criminal activity could prevent you from being allowed to come to Canada. you also must not provide false information or fraudulent documentation, or withhold information that could be related to your application.

I think you need to let them know. But you could gamble.....
proof of funds documents;
dear Baloo,
Is this is necessary to show proof of funds.
May be funds will transfer as any one will open bank account or there would be any other reason that student don't have proof of funds on airport.
He just have 5000, 7000 CAD or he already transfer money in any other account.
Is there any restriction to show funds on airport?

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
danishali said:
I am not mis representing..I have the offical letter for admission from concordia...I just dont want my case to get complicated.

But you are likely to do so if you don't pay attention to what CIC states.

"you also must not provide false information or fraudulent documentation, or withhold information that could be related to your application."

The word "Withhold" is a pretty clear statement from CIC.

Think about this, it is OK to change, but you want to hide the fact from an IO - what does that say?

Like I said, it is your choice, why not contact CIC for the official answer?
Whatever you do in life, you have to take responsibility for.
You asked for comments I gave some, I don't have to convince you because in the end you have to choose, it actually does not impact me in any way.

shahzad2002 said:
proof of funds documents;
dear Baloo,
Is this is necessary to show proof of funds.
That information comes from the CIC Web site, so I assume it is correct.

asad100101

Jun 28, 2010
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a question. do immigration officials enquire from our university after some days if we're constantly enrolled there or not after landing in canada ?

Things have been changed in the usa after 9/11. i meant when my elder bro landed at dallas airport...he was asked some questions about his employer,they took phone numbers of his employer and address and info like how long is the working contract..etc

he has been now in usa for 4 years and some immigration officers randomly visit his employer and ask about his pay stubs, work designation, etc

danishali

Star Member
Oct 22, 2010
Baloo I totally agree with you that withholding is fraud. But even if they catch me once iam in canada I can say that I came to canada to attend Concordia. But once I saw UWO in person i was attracted to the progra,. And as per the rule of Canada I switched my university.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone else see the conflict here?

Ignore the subject for the moment - You agree something is fraud, and then you say "even if they catch me"?? Which indicates you will do it anyway.

Surely risking an allegation of fraud under any circumstance is crazy?
I am amazed, if you know what you are doing is right, why not just tell the truth when you enter?