+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing University after Study Visa Approved?

xrb936

Apr 1, 2019
Hi, I just got my Study Visa approved last week for my Fall 2019 semester. However, I just received an offer from my dream university, so I am thinking to go with it and decline my previous choice. However, since I have already got the Study Visa with their offer, what should I do next? I have already let the previous university know that I won't go there. Should I apply for a new Study Visa with the IRCC? Or I can simply call them and change the vise?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Do you have any conditions on your Study Permit? Most often, study permits are granted for any educational institute within a province (or sometimes anywhere in Canada) - so if you have that notation on your study permit and your new university is in the same province, you should be fine.

What does your study permit say under

1. Institution Name
2. Field of Study

xrb936

Apr 1, 2019
Do you have any conditions on your Study Permit? Most often, study permits are granted for any educational institute within a province (or sometimes anywhere in Canada) - so if you have that notation on your study permit and your new university is in the same province, you should be fine.

What does your study permit say under

1. Institution Name
2. Field of Study
Thank you so much for your reply! I haven't got my Study Permit yet, I just got a Study Visa printed on my passport. It didn't say anything about the university and study field. It only has my name, date of issue, date of expiration, number of entries, document number, category, passport number and CBN on it.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You will need to apply for a study permit before you go , and that’s when you can tell them which university you’re going to.

The immigration department at your school can help you with this.

You won’t need a new visa though.

xrb936

Apr 1, 2019
You will need to apply for a study permit before you go , and that’s when you can tell them which university you’re going to.

The immigration department at your school can help you with this.

You won’t need a new visa though.
Thank you so much. But I believe that I will get a study permit AFTER I arrived at the Canada.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you so much. But I believe that I will get a study permit AFTER I arrived at the Canada.
Either way, when you get it, that’s when you’ll tell them about the university you’re going to, along with the invitation letter, financial proof etc.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Hang on, did you go through the Student Direct Stream and get a letter of introduction? If yes, then you need to inform them of changes to your situation before you travel.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=052&top=3

Change other information
You must use our Web form to tell us about changes to your situation, even if you applied online.

Examples of changes include:

• marriage or divorce
  • birth or adoption of a child
  • death of an applicant or dependant
  • changes that could affect your eligibility for the program you’re applying for, including changes in your:
    • job situation
    • education
    • language skills
  • contact information updates, including:
    • email
    • phone number
If you change your contact information, make sure you check your old contact information until we update your application.

xrb936

Apr 1, 2019
Hang on, did you go through the Student Direct Stream and get a letter of introduction? If yes, then you need to inform them of changes to your situation before you travel.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=052&top=3

Change other information
You must use our Web form to tell us about changes to your situation, even if you applied online.

Examples of changes include:

• marriage or divorce
  • birth or adoption of a child
  • death of an applicant or dependant
  • changes that could affect your eligibility for the program you’re applying for, including changes in your:
    • job situation
    • education
    • language skills
  • contact information updates, including:
    • email
    • phone number
If you change your contact information, make sure you check your old contact information until we update your application.
No, not SDS. I just applied the S-1 visa through the online system.