+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing program and school

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
Hi,

I started my MBA in British Columbia in September 2023 (Study permit valid till September 2023).
I've always wanted to study Networking/Cybersecurity but due to my family's involvement I was forced to study Business for my undergraduate and now I am doing MBA.
Since I don't have any credentials in IT, I have to start from the beginning. I was wondering if I can change my program to IT and do a Diploma or High diploma preferably in BC or Ontario.
Will the the immigration allow me to to change my studies from masters to diploma or degree? If so where can I start? What is the process like? Is there any other possible consequences ?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I started my MBA in British Columbia in September 2023 (Study permit valid till September 2023).
I've always wanted to study Networking/Cybersecurity but due to my family's involvement I was forced to study Business for my undergraduate and now I am doing MBA.
Since I don't have any credentials in IT, I have to start from the beginning. I was wondering if I can change my program to IT and do a Diploma or High diploma preferably in BC or Ontario.
Will the the immigration allow me to to change my studies from masters to diploma or degree? If so where can I start? What is the process like? Is there any other possible consequences ?

Thanks in advance
Yes, you can switch schools and programs. The first step is to be accepted into the new school and program. Then you can switch schools and notify IRCC.

The only potential issue I see is that if you plan to apply for PR, you will end up with fewer points to be selected vs. completing a Masters.

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
Yes, you can switch schools and programs. The first step is to be accepted into the new school and program. Then you can switch schools and notify IRCC.

The only potential issue I see is that if you plan to apply for PR, you will end up with fewer points to be selected vs. completing a Masters.
Thanks for the reply scylla!
Do I have to apply for a new study permit after getting my new LOA? if so how long it will take to get a new study permit or amended study permit?

Thanks again for your help

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Reactions: sunnyGee

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thanks in advance
Have you continued your full-time studies this semester? Have you been accepted into a networking/cybersecurity program? Do you plan on continuing your MBA studies next semester since many programs starting this winter will be full and it is pretty late to apply for winter admission even if there may be spots in some programs. You May only be able to start next Fall. Have you considered finishing your MBA? What school are you attending? If from a decent public school it should help you find employment in Canada and get PR. After you get PR you could consider pursuing your other interests while paying domestic fees.

sunnyGee

May 23, 2023
Have you continued your full-time studies this semester? Have you been accepted into a networking/cybersecurity program? Do you plan on continuing your MBA studies next semester since many programs starting this winter will be full and it is pretty late to apply for winter admission even if there may be spots in some programs. You May only be able to start next Fall. Have you considered finishing your MBA? What school are you attending? If from a decent public school it should help you find employment in Canada and get PR. After you get PR you could consider pursuing your other interests while paying domestic fees.
Yes I have completed one semester in MBA but I have not been accepted to a an IT related program. To be honest I don't really want to continue MBA.