Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
A
usman_14pk said:
SCENARIO # 1: Change of School before getting Study Permit at POE

If you have got your new Acceptance Letter and you intend to attend this new school then you must show your new LOA at POE to the immigration officer. He/She will ask you that you are supposed to attend your previous school which is specified in your study permit profile. Now at that point you will tell him/her that now I want to attend this new one. So the immigration officer will update your school information in your Study Permit and will issue you the Study Permit with your updated/new school name on it.

You also need to tell him/her that you are still meeting the finances i.e tuition fee, etc.. of the new school. It can be just a verbal sentence.

SCENARIO # 2: Change of School after getting Study Permit from within Canada

You need to update this in your MYCIC account online.

For example:

A cover letter stating that you have changed your school but you are still as a Full-Time registered student in your new school. LOA from new school is attached with this cover, etc....
What if i have a study permit for one year pg cft. And i want to take admission in 2 year pg diploma

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
####UPDATE####
Hi guys,
i talked to a cic person, he said if there is a condition on your study permit stating:
"attendance at the university , college or institution specified by the immigration officer"
and you got your study permit before june 1,2014. you need to apply for a new study permit to change the university.... which takes 11 working days for processing if you apply online.
now.. having said that, here are guidelines: (which he sent me in an email:)
for online:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/apply_online.asp?d=1&q=n
you can also apply for a study permit via paper. which takes a bit longer.
apply online, like you are applying for a whole new study permit.
Regards,
Muhammad

hopeful_786

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
numair782 said:
####UPDATE####
Hi guys,
i talked to a cic person, he said if there is a condition on your study permit stating:
"attendance at the university , college or institution specified by the immigration officer"
and you got your study permit before june 1,2014. you need to apply for a new study permit to change the university.... which takes 11 working days for processing if you apply online.
now.. having said that, here are guidelines: (which he sent me in an email:)
for online:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/my_application/apply_online.asp?d=1&q=n
you can also apply for a study permit via paper. which takes a bit longer.
apply online, like you are applying for a whole new study permit.
Regards,
Muhammad
CIC officer says something different from CIC website...

Post-secondary student

You may change your school, program, field of study or level of study (e.g. from the Bachelor level to the Masters level) without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
However, you must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study.

hopeful_786

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
CIC officer totally misguided you SORRY to say you this...

Sometime it happens because of language barrier....

Before june 01, 2014, student don't need to tell CIC about changing college/universities...now just tell CIC by MYCIC account.

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
CIC officer totally misguided you SORRY to say you this...

Sometime it happens because of language barrier....

Before june 01, 2014, student don't need to tell CIC about changing college/universities...now just tell CIC by MYCIC account.
Posted on: August 05, 2014, 01:40:30 pm Posted by: hopeful_786
your answer is very critical for me. OR I WOULD SAY ITS MORE BETTER THAN APPLYING FOR A WHOLE NEW STUDY PERMIT. but, why should i trust you, rather than the CIC officer?
Regards,
Muhammad

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
Please excuse me for that wording brother, but please keep in mind that i am talking about, i had a condition to study at university of regina only. which i got before june 1, 2014 so thats why i have to apply for a new one.
regards,
Muhammad

hopeful_786

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
numair782 said:
Please excuse me for that wording brother, but please keep in mind that i am talking about, i had a condition to study at university of regina only. which i got before june 1, 2014 so thats why i have to apply for a new one.
regards,
Muhammad
Lolz its up to you........everyone gets study permit with the college/university name..you are not a special one....Before june 1, 2014...students weren't required to tell CIC regarding the change of college/university..now they are bound to tell CIC for it....

CIC officer told you the process of extending study permit....

It's very clear on CIC website...

You may change your school, program, field of study or level of study (e.g. from the Bachelor level to the Masters level) without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.

However, you must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study.

I am going to follow this way.....before a month of expiry of my study permit I will be applying for extension

maysun18

Aug 1, 2014
hopeful_786 said:
Have you logged in MYCIC account..when you click to change institution option..is there any option to submit cover letter?
Hey I did check out the change institution option out of curiosity.

After entering details about your application; they ask for the New Institute's DLI#(the listing is available on their site), Student ID and the Program Start Date..

hopeful_786

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
maysun18 said:
Hey I did check out the change institution option out of curiosity.

After entering details about your application; they ask for the New Institute's DLI#(the listing is available on their site), Student ID and the Program Start Date..
what about attachment of offer letter?

guinicolosi

Aug 12, 2014
Hello, I'm facing a similar problem. I came to Montreal to take a professional course, but now I want to do a different one, also professional, so they are at the same level and have aproximately the same duration (2 months more on the actual course). My worries are: Is it possible for they to deny my change of school, even if they have really similar costs?
Can they invalidate the original visa if they want to because of that request?
And last, I have a work permit for internship reasons, will that need to be updated too?
Thanks

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
you should talk to CIC agent. there was a condition on my study permit which indicated that i can only study at the institution indicated by the immigration officer. i talked to cic about this. since i had the study permit issued to me before june 2014. the officer said i have to apply for a new study permit. now according to my understanding you should apply one if you have any condition imposed on your study permit which is not allowing you to change institution. please fill the forms. including imm 5709 and schedule 1 form. enter all your details, then submit documents like, your passport (including all visas & entry/ exit stamps) , your previous study permit, letter of acceptance at old institution along with confirmation of enrollment/transcript similarly letter of acceptance at new institution at new institution and confirmation of registration (if you have registered your courses at new institution). proof of funds, photo id, letter of explanation, medical letter (in the case, if you passed your medical exam less than 12 months ago and you dont have the result, rather it was sent to cic directly. just tell them that you passed your exam. so and so date etc. mention ur UCI number and your passport number etc. ) scan and attach your documents in pdf files. file size less than 4 mb per file. photo could be attached in jpg or jpg2000 format. apply online. processing time for online application for new study permit is 11 working days.
this is what i could get all in all. please refer to cic website for details. please dont rely solely on my information. as i am not an agent/ nor an immigration officer.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

numair782 said:
you should talk to CIC agent. there was a condition on my study permit which indicated that i can only study at the institution indicated by the immigration officer. i talked to cic about this. since i had the study permit issued to me before june 2014. the officer said i have to apply for a new study permit. now according to my understanding you should apply one if you have any condition imposed on your study permit which is not allowing you to change institution. please fill the forms. including imm 5709 and schedule 1 form. enter all your details, then submit documents like, your passport (including all visas & entry/ exit stamps) , your previous study permit, letter of acceptance at old institution along with confirmation of enrollment/transcript similarly letter of acceptance at new institution at new institution and confirmation of registration (if you have registered your courses at new institution). proof of funds, photo id, letter of explanation, medical letter (in the case, if you passed your medical exam less than 12 months ago and you dont have the result, rather it was sent to cic directly. just tell them that you passed your exam. so and so date etc. mention ur UCI number and your passport number etc. ) scan and attach your documents in pdf files. file size less than 4 mb per file. photo could be attached in jpg or jpg2000 format. apply online. processing time for online application for new study permit is 11 working days.
this is what i could get all in all. please refer to cic website for details. please dont rely solely on my information. as i am not an agent/ nor an immigration officer.

Agreed. Its not a new SP, but IMM 5709 to change conditions on your existing SP (issued prior to June/2014).

guinicolosi

Aug 12, 2014
Thanks for the sugestions. I forgot to mention that my visa was issued after 1st of june. I did it all online and I do have the option at MyCIC page to change institutions. Since I did it all online, could you tell me how to contact the CIC officer?
Thankls once again

Sonata95

Jul 23, 2008
Hi all,

Could you pls advise my case. I got visa and study permit for PG 1 years and now want to change to college 2 years in difference school after landing Canada. As per some advise I only need to update in my ICI account, is it correct? Do I need to extend my old study permit ( 1years) to my new study permit ( 2 years)?

Thanks you for your help

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Sonata95 said:
Hi all,

Could you pls advise my case. I got visa and study permit for PG 1 years and now want to change to college 2 years in difference school after landing Canada. As per some advise I only need to update in my ICI account, is it correct? Do I need to extend my old study permit ( 1years) to my new study permit ( 2 years)?

Thanks you for your help
"If you apply for a study permit on or after June 1, 2014, you must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study."
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15

at some point u will have to extend ur study permit before it expires.